Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Cafe so slooow!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    over there
    Beans
    2,430
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Cafe so slooow!

    The Cafe used to be busy, but now it is very un-busy. Look at the first page and you see heaps of threads whose last posts were days or even weeks ago! What happened?
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    16,848
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    India
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Cafe so slooow!

    Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    The Cafe used to be busy, but now it is very un-busy. Look at the first page and you see heaps of threads whose last posts were days or even weeks ago! What happened?
    Exactly.

    There was a time when I used to get replies within seconds (no exaggeration) and now sometimes it takes days and often there are no replies to the most simplistic kind of threads.

    Ubuntu has become more user friendly and there is already enough documentation online so users don't visit the forums like they used to or a large number of user have moved to Mint and using their forum.

    I think the combination of these two factors is the cause.
    Ubuntu Mate 14.10
    free
    showing high ram usage ? Read this
    When people say "you've changed " there's a 95% chance that you just stopped acting the way they wanted you to.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mystletainn Kick!
    Beans
    4,461
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Cafe so slooow!

    Quote Originally Posted by linuxyogi View Post
    Ubuntu has become more user friendly and there is already enough documentation online so users don't visit the forums like they used to or a large number of user have moved to Mint and using their forum.
    I don't see why using a different distro would have any bearing on the discussions in the cafe.
    I think the reason the cafe has such fewer and more drawn-out postings is because the subjects being discussed are not that interesting.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful
    .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    16,848
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Cafe so slooow!

    Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    I don't see why using a different distro would have any bearing on the discussions in the cafe.
    I think the reason the cafe has such fewer and more drawn-out postings is because the subjects being discussed are not that interesting.
    Agreed. The whole mint forums are very slow.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    6,013

    Re: Cafe so slooow!

    Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    The Cafe used to be busy, but now it is very un-busy. Look at the first page and you see heaps of threads whose last posts were days or even weeks ago! What happened?
    Dunno what it is but these forums seem very quiet and when you post something people don't respond almost as if they were scared to voice their opinion.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    16,848
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Cafe so slooow!

    Maybe there are a few lurkers. Reading stuff and finding solutions. But this was a surprise.

    Most users ever online was 104,751, October 21st, 2013 at*07:11 PM.
    Last edited by philinux; December 15th, 2013 at 09:46 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    6,043
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: Cafe so slooow!

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Dunno what it is but these forums seem very quiet and when you post something people don't respond almost as if they were scared to voice their opinion.
    There's a newish "Cafe" in town:
    Welcome! This is discourse.ubuntu.com, our new discussion platform. This is a place where you can hang out and talk about Ubuntu.
    How's this different from other sites?

    Ask Ubuntu, the Ubuntu Forums, and project mailing lists are where we do our tech support. We recommend those sites for questions about how to configure and use Ubuntu. This is a place where you can share screenshots, talk about your favorite desktops and tools, and in general hang out with your Ubuntu friends in a friendly, relaxed environment.

    If you remember what the first few years of the ubuntu "warthogs" mailing list was like or use the Ubuntu subreddit, that's the kind of vibe we're shooting for.
    Source: http://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/welcom...-is-about/1215

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Beans
    3,415

    Re: Cafe so slooow!

    Ever since the site got hacked, things haven't been as active IMHO. Seems like the same dozen or so posters rehashing the same conversations ad nauseam. Discourse doesn't seem much busier: 4 threads with posts in the last 24 hours.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    6,043
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

    Re: Cafe so slooow!

    Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Ever since the site got hacked, things haven't been as active IMHO. Seems like the same dozen or so posters rehashing the same conversations ad nauseam. Discourse doesn't seem much busier: 4 threads with posts in the last 24 hours.
    Some left in a huff over the sign-on procedure.
    The rehashes maybe some form of therapy or instances of someone is wrong on the internet.
    JC has assured us of an active Discourse in due course: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post12773663
    Last edited by vasa1; December 16th, 2013 at 05:25 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •