Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Toshiba Satellite M45-S269

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    5

    Cool Toshiba Satellite M45-S269

    I am trying to install ubuntu alongside windows XP on a 2006 Toshiba Satellite M45. It's too old to install from USB and for some reason the DVD drive will work but can't boot from it (I've tried changing the settings in the BIOS). Any suggestions on how to do a dual boot under these conditions would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Reykjavík, Ísland
    Beans
    9,623
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Installing Ubuntu on an older Toshiba Satellite

    Does it boot with a CD in the drive?
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Installing Ubuntu on an older Toshiba Satellite

    Quote Originally Posted by rwhoward View Post
    I am trying to install ubuntu alongside windows XP on a 2006 Toshiba Satellite M45. It's too old to install from USB and for some reason the DVD drive will work but can't boot from it (I've tried changing the settings in the BIOS). Any suggestions on how to do a dual boot under these conditions would be appreciated.

    Thanks!
    I don't think it is too old to boot from USB. I have older computers that can do it, and my experience of Toshiba is good. Please try again! Maybe you get some tips at these links

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...#Prerequisites

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick#Booting_the_Computer_from_USB

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Installing Ubuntu on an older Toshiba Satellite

    Please specify with more details the model

    Toshiba Satellite M45-S165
    Toshiba Satellite M45-S269
    Toshiba Satellite M45-S331
    ...
    or specify the

    - CPU, RAM (size), graphics chip/card, number and description of USB 2 ports

    The specs differ quite a lot between these models, and some of them are more likely to boot from USB.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    5

    Re: Installing Ubuntu on an older Toshiba Satellite

    Sorry I haven't responded. In answer to your question, I get a note a boot that there's something wrong with the media and to check the wiring????. Anyway it does not boot to the CD but it does recognize the drive because I can explore the CD after I open up in Windows XP.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    37

    Re: Installing Ubuntu on an older Toshiba Satellite

    You may need to upgrade your BIOS... When was the last time that was performed?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Installing Ubuntu on an older Toshiba Satellite

    Did you verify that download was correct and install to CD not copy to CD?

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

    Also instructions for DVD or USB flash drive
    http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    Write image or burn image not copy ISO as one large file to flash or DVD.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.







  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    5

    Re: Installing Ubuntu on an older Toshiba Satellite

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Please specify with more details the model

    Toshiba Satellite M45-S165
    Toshiba Satellite M45-S269
    Toshiba Satellite M45-S331
    ...
    or specify the

    - CPU, RAM (size), graphics chip/card, number and description of USB 2 ports

    The specs differ quite a lot between these models, and some of them are more likely to boot from USB.
    ***************

    I have The Toshiba Satellite M45-S269. Model PSM42U-016006. I purchased it January 3, 2006. I've been to BIOS and didn't see where it would have the abilty to boot from the USB drive.

    Any help would be appreciated...Tx!!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    5

    Re: Installing Ubuntu on an older Toshiba Satellite

    Quote Originally Posted by linuxguru43 View Post
    You may need to upgrade your BIOS... When was the last time that was performed?
    That very well could be the problem...How do I acquire the upgrade for a Toshiba Satellite M45-S269 laptop?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Installing Ubuntu on an older Toshiba Satellite

    Quote Originally Posted by rwhoward View Post
    ***************

    I have The Toshiba Satellite M45-S269. Model PSM42U-016006. I purchased it January 3, 2006. I've been to BIOS and didn't see where it would have the abilty to boot from the USB drive.

    Any help would be appreciated...Tx!!!!
    According to the specs I found it is not the earliest version. It has 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) ports (v2.0) and I think it should be possible to boot from USB.

    Boot the computer with a USB drive inserted in the computer. Check in the BIOS if it recognizes the USB drive as a hard disk drive (HDD) instead of as a USB HDD or USB device. In that case put it first in the boot order list, and reboot. See the tips in this link

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...puter_from_USB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •