Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is Standard/Stable Version of UBuntu ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Which is Standard/Stable Version of UBuntu ?

Hi Friends,

I am new to Ubuntu.

I've heard from friends that "ubuntu" would be simple/easy to work ...& , as personal just looked at the UBuntu interface/look , which sounds great.

Can someone please let me know the stable version of UBuntu (which doesn't have any error in the OS) which I can download and use it?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Thanks
    Kiran

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Which is Standard/Stable Version of UBuntu ?

Quote Originally Posted by kiran1247 View Post
    Can someone please let me know the stable version of UBuntu (which doesn't have any error in the OS) which I can download and use it?
    Take a look at this post and post back if you have more questions : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12701351

For downloading, I recommend torrents for faster speeds and data integrity. Official torrent downloads : http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...tive-downloads

Current LTS (supposed to be more stable) release is 12.04 LTS that will be supported till April 2017.

Current Standard (or interim) release is 13.04 that will be supported till January next year.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying your post? This is why.

Beans

12.04 LTS and 13.04 are the current stable releases, 13.04 will be supported for 9 more months and 12.04 until April 2017.

Depending on how you're going to install, I'd recommend 12.04 LTS anyway. It's fantastic, and undoubtedly works just as well as 13.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In my experience all Ubuntu releases have been stable.

Go for 13.04 if you want the latest release or 12.04 if you want the current Long Term Support release.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu puts out a stable release every six months, labeled in a yy.mm format. LTS releases are supported for five years. Others are supported for nine months. If you want the latest and greatest and you're cool with upgrading/reinstalling every six months or so, get the latest release (currently 13.04). Otherwise, stick with the latest LTS (currently 12.04).
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

and by stable they mean that crashes and bugs are predictable and known....

12.04 might still have a bit more bugs ironed out. not necessary though.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

I recommend that you test-drive Live USBs of Ubuntu 12.04 and 13.04 (and possibly a couple other distros; see distrowatch.com) because what is stable on my particular hardware might not be as stable on your particular hardware (and vice-versa). Generally speaking, 12.04 LTS has the best reputation for stability of the current Ubuntu releases.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution. It is made up of many components of software that are being developed by Open Source software developers. You should consider every Linux distribution, including Ubuntu, to be under constant development. Do not think of Ubuntu as a finished product. With open source software there is continual progress.

This is handled in Ubuntu by releasing a newer stable version every six months and by giving regular updates to make corrections to any failings that have become known or were failed to be fixed due to having to meet a release date.

With Ubuntu the choice is: a) Do I want to upgrade to a new version every six months? OR b) Do I want to stay with the same version for 2 to 5 years.

Often the responsibility to fix things rests with the developers of the software. In many cases the only thing the Ubuntu developers can do is to pass information about the failure on to those developers and then wait for the software component to be fixed.

During the six months in between each release the Ubuntu developers work on the next release. For almost two years I have been using the development branch of Ubuntu and for the last year I have found it to be stable enough to be used every day. I am using it know. Your question about Ubuntu and stability now has little meaning in Ubuntu. There will always be errors in software.

Ubuntu is free to download and free to use but do not expect perfection. Do not expect Ubuntu to be a copy of any other operating system. Do not expect Open Source developers to do things the same way as the Corporations that sell computers with operating systems pre-installed.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; June 27th, 2013 at 01:43 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Current LTS (supposed to be more stable) release is 12.04 LTS that will be supported till April 2017.
    Ubuntu Unity 12.04LTS solid smooth Linux distro, with great length of support

If your hardware is older, you may want to try Xubuntu 12.04LTS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by kiran1247 View Post
    ... Can someone please let me know the stable version of UBuntu (which doesn't have any error in the OS) which I can download and use it?...
    Didn't you ask this very same question a while back -- because, I remember answering it.

First of all, there is NO SUCH THING as an OS that does not have any errors in it -- period. ALL software written by human beings, which (AFAIK) includes all versions of Linux OSs, Mac OSs, and Windows OSs, have errors in them. All you have to do to confirm this is go to the various support site and find the bug reporting systems they use.

As to stability, and this is true in general of ANY OS, the longer it has been out, the more time has passed that has allowed errors to be detected, diagnosed, and corrected.

So, if you want a really stable version of Ubuntu, I would second the recommendation for 12.04. It's been out for over a year and works pretty well, now.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 17.3; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast