Page 294 of 366 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304344 ... LastLast
Results 2,931 to 2,940 of 3658

Thread: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: why do I have rhythmbox?

Quote Originally Posted by Flos Headford View Post
    I would like to get rid of rhythmbox.
    But when I try to uninstall it from Synaptic, it threatens me with uninstalling Gnome!
    I like Gnome. I dislike rhythmbox. If somebody can help in the next few days, I just might to decide not install Mint. Just...
    You installed Ubuntu Gnome? I always get rid of rthythmbox with no problem. But then I use Unity.

Did a google search that appears to be a Debian packaging problem, but it says gnome is a meta package so it can be safety removed.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-gnome-660324/
    http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=81055

But be careful, I also saw this
    http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...other-packages

So make sure that it doesn't remove anything else other than "gnome" and rthythmbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

But when I try to uninstall it from Synaptic, it threatens me with uninstalling Gnome!
    I like Gnome. I dislike rhythmbox. If somebody can help in the next few days, I just might to decide not install Mint. Just...
    You have such a tiny hard drive that rhythmbox takes up too much space?
    Just leave it on there, take it off your unity dock and don't use it...silly to worry about removing it...
    Mint has Rhythmbox too you know, and it's ubuntu underneath, so underneath it works the same...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Things that you dislike in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vadimkolchev View Post
    So finally I leave Ubuntu and want to say goodbye to everyone. ... Don't want to advertise.
    The lack of formatting makes this an eyesore to read. Paragraphs, people!
    And nobody is forcing you to use this, so if you don't like it, it's your choice to use it, in the same way it is your choice to do a job you do not like.
    You stated Linux is about choice. Well, shouldn't the developers be the ones to choose how the OS works? If you have no involvement in the dev process, why should you be making choices for them? Sure, you can lobby against changes (especially controversial ones such as the Unity shopping lens), but you are not making the dev's decisions for them. So stop acting like they are 5 and you are their mother.
    Don't like Unity? This is what I hate about you people. All you do is complain "UNITY SUX" "omg lagfest" "LOL U USE UNITY??? HAHAHAHA NUB!" Did you know that, rather than complain about how much you hate it, you could save time, keystrokes, and energy by typing "sudo apt-get install [insert DE here]" and shutting up? Quite the concept! Maybe you should try it out sometime!
    LinusTechTips recently uploaded a video about the WD Computex booth, and you reminded me of what Linus said. Link (the video leads to ~1 minute before what I am talking about to give you context, if you need to you can just skip to 4:05 to see what I am talking about). The person who has a drive failure complains about it, while the one who does not will keep their mouth shut and let the circlejerk do its thing. Likewise, the people who hate Unity are very vocal about it, while those who enjoy using it stay out of the way to avoid the witch hunt that always seems to happen whenever someone says "I like Unity" on a website not primarily about Ubuntu (in a good light, of course-anti-Ubuntu websites have nothing but hate for Unity). This leads people to a false conclusion that Unity sucks, as they only hear about how it is bad, rarely about how it is good.
    I try not to rant, but it is people like you who push me over the edge. All you do is claim how Ubuntu is to Linux like Satanists are to Christians (and apparently there is Ubuntu Satanic Edition, for those who have ever wondered), but never provide well thought-out explanations to justify your claims. It's essentially making up a religion out of thin air and claiming it's the one true religion because "my deity told me, therefore it is fact and you must respect it." Stop trying to cram opinions down other people's throats like it has been proven by science and everyone should know it. I have no problem with people who dislike Unity, but I will respond to people who do nothing but hate like they are hired by M$ to debase Ubuntu.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans

The moderators on Ubuntuforums, who close forums because they criticize Ubuntu 13.XX shortcomings.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cdoebbler View Post
    The moderators on Ubuntuforums, who close forums because they criticize Ubuntu 13.XX shortcomings.
    Thank God I'm not a moderator

As far as I have noticed, any discussion is kept open as long as it is fresh and relevant. As soon as it starts going round and round in circles, discussing things that have already been discussed hundreds or thousands of times before, it is MOVED to "Recurring Discussions" section which is the right place for such threads.

Then, quite reasonably, there is a rule to close threads in Recurring Discussions after a week. Sometimes these threads may stay open longer because it has to be closed manually, so it is done when mods have the time to pay attention to them. I don't see anything 'oppressive' in this whole procedure. Everything is done as should be on a forum that is meant to provide technical support, not to clutter search results with 'going-nowhere' discussion threads.

The only threads that are closed premature are those ones that start getting ugly due to various reasons (trolling, flamewar, politics, etc.). Again, perfectly according to the Code of Conduct, and in the interest of everyone.

If you know of a thread that you think was closed wrongfully, you can always report it, or dispute it in the Resolution Center, and if it was indeed wrongfully closed, I'm sure whoever of us notices that thread will happily echo your voice there, including mods (they are just people from among us, able and willing to do some extra work). And if there were justifiable reasons for its closing, you will most probably get friendly and detailed justification there as to why it was closed (provided you don't start ranting there ).

Oh, and yes, mods and admins CAN BE Wrong! After all, they are humans.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks, it was fun to read your 5yo offence. Try to remove unity and install softwarecenter. It sucks not because it's unity. Just try and post results. And I think windows to be worse than ubuntu, but they will vry soon be on the same level. And ok, kid, let developers decide for ypu, like in ms.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Use whatever works best for you, threatening isn't going to get you any help any sooner. If you don't like Ryhthmbox, don't use it, there's no need to remove it. There are probably 100's of application that are installed by default that you never use, have you removed all of them too?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Oh, and yes, mods and admins CAN BE Wrong! After all, they are humans.
    Some would argue both points...
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    Some would argue both points...
    Yeah, I was re-thinking about the 'human' part..
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Use whatever works best for you, threatening isn't going to get you any help any sooner. If you don't like Ryhthmbox, don't use it, there's no need to remove it. There are probably 100's of application that are installed by default that you never use, have you removed all of them too?
    +1
    I have two solitaire games, and have never played.
    I've never thought of removing them.

Plus you can easily change the defaults for programs that play certain files, like music.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 294 of 366 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304344 ... LastLast