Thread: Looking for a file in system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looking for a file in system

I made a fortran program that computes large amount of data and it supposed to print out some results on screen. When I run it on background from external mounted hardisk :

./prog >&ww&

I found out that the ww file is becoming too large because of too many of ascii data. I didn't want to kill the program. so I just deleted the ww while program was running.
    After the program ends I found that my system has no free space available. It seems that after deleting the ww file from external hardisk the program continues to write to some other file in some temporal directory in the system.
    I tried to check the /tmp and /var/tmp or /lost+found but couldn't find anything larger than 4K bytes .
    The du -h command does not help either since it gives me to many results to check for whole system including /home directory.
    Is there any general directory in linux where such a backup files are automaticaly stored?
    Thanks for any ideas

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Looking for a file in system

Try running a filesystem check by booting into recovery mode and choosing the filesystem checking option from the menu. See if that helps retrieve some space.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Try running a filesystem check by booting into recovery mode and choosing the filesystem checking option from the menu. See if that helps retrieve some space.
    Thanks for reply.
    Actually, I do not have a problem with a booting. I already make some space ( around 300MB), but I really want to delete the data which used all my space.
    I guess the system decided to store the giga bytes of ascii data to some other file hidden somewhere in the system's directories instead of my working directory.

So, I'm wondering about how generally linux system deals with the issue, when during running a program in a deamon mode, the storing file is deleted before completion of the program.
    Does it stores the output somewhere else? Where?

Thanks

Beans

I would do this:

Open a terminal, and type
    Code:
    cd
    ncdu
    that should give an overview of the disk usage

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Senplanet View Post
    Actually, I do not have a problem with a booting.
    My response had nothing to do with booting. It's possible that the filesystem believes some of the inodes are allocated to files when they are not. Only running fsck will clean that up. Since you cannot fix a currently-mounted filesystem, you have to do this during boot. So, again, boot into recovery mode and choose the filesystem checking option.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users