Thread: download rather than open

Beans

download rather than open

has anyone figured out how to get Thunderbird -- or any e/mail client -- to DOWNLOAD a file from a Ubuntu link instead of attempting to open the related content ?

i.e. open with FTP

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: download rather than open

Can you explain more what you want; I don't quite understand what you're trying to do.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Can you explain more what you want; I don't quite understand what you're trying to do.
    Update: I think the PROBLEM is FIREFOX

If I get a URL from Ubuntu1 for an .mp4 file and paste it into an e/mail message, then when the receiving station click on it: FIREFOX attempts to play the video. This even though I have set his content directors to SAVE FILE for all video content, -- and disabled the VLC plugin.

It fails of course: the Video is too large (14M) and must be DOWNLOADED and the played with a good video player. I like VLC -- on either Linux or Windows but Windows media Player will also work.

I'm about || that close to ditching Firefox for Chrome
    Last edited by mike acker; May 12th, 2013 at 12:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try right clicking the link and select "Save Link as".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    Try right clicking the link and select "Save Link as".
    ok, i tried that . trouble is : it saves as .htm format thus needing Firefox to open it and initiate the download

~~~~~

the problem here IS Firefox : when Firefox sees the file is .mp4 it wants to play it and will not* offer to download . then Firefox fails to play the file

Work Around

i managed a work-around by sending the file to Ubuntu1 with .sav attached to the end of the file name . in this condition Firefox offers to download the file . once that's done then a player such as Windows Media Player or VLC can be used to play the file

this is a DEFINITE EGG on the FACE of Firefox . they are just about this || close to losing this customer .

~~~
    * probably all part of the RIAA/MPA DMCA/DRM mess
    Last edited by mike acker; May 12th, 2013 at 03:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

You could also go into FF preferences Applications tab and set MPEG4 files to ask every time instead of trying to play them.

See screenshot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    You could also go into FF preferences Applications tab and set MPEG4 files to ask every time instead of trying to play them.

See screenshot
    did you try this ?

I did and I found that regardless of settings Firefox attempts to play the mp4

there is no doubt in my mind that this is in defference to riaa/mpa and an additional effort to prevent downloading

{ certain text deleted here }
    Last edited by mike acker; May 13th, 2013 at 01:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

What does FF try to play the mp4 with; what plugins are you using for embedded audio/video?