Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to install on old laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unable to install on old laptop

Hello everyone

I'm having trouble installing Lubuntu on an old laptop. It's a 1GHz Celeron, 256MB RAM machine that worked perfectly with windows XP (no chugging or anything). It's a Patriot 2410... some brand I've never even heard of.

I burnt lubuntu to a DVD and it worked fine until the software install part, where it dies on "popcon" or around the state where it's copying 866 or so files.

After it failed multiple times, saying the files were corrupt or some such I burnt a new DVD with a fresh iso download but I had the same problem in the same place.

The machine seems to meet the requirements for lubuntu.

The machine will just be used by my 4 year old son. Want him to start getting used to alternative, Linux stuff early on - rather than being completely indoctrinated by Windows.

Any advice peoples?

Thanks in advance.
    CPU
    : Intel® Core™ i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz × 4
    RAM: 8 GB | HDDs: SSD 64GB + 1T HDD x2 | Power Unit: 750 W
    GFX: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 2048 |
    Display: 4:3 (5:4 res) 19" Dual Screens

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Unable to install on old laptop

Will the laptop run a LiveDVD session with the same DVDs?

If so, from LiveDVD, post output of
    Code:
    sudo lshw
    Code:
    lspci -vn
    Last edited by DuckHook; March 23rd, 2013 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Request more info

Beans
    Distro

There does not appear to be an option to boot Lubuntu from DVD (install only).

Seeing as it dies half way through the install, obviously the previous partition holding Windows XP is no more, so I cannot boot into an existing OS and run Lubuntu from disk there either.
    CPU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

go here: http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/r...ecise/release/
    scroll down to lubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso
    and download and burn to cd/dvd, that iso will give you the ability to try lubuntu in a live session
    and see if your hardware is compatible.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Distro

With only 256 Mbs of RAM you are at the lower end of being able to install and run Lubuntu comfortably. So if you have problems installing, please consider using the alternate installer.
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Drowz0r View Post
    I'm having trouble installing Lubuntu on an old laptop. It's a 1GHz Celeron, 256MB RAM machine that worked perfectly with windows XP (no chugging or anything). It's a Patriot 2410... some brand I've never even heard of.
    If you want to use modern OS with degree of ease then seriously, consider upgrading your RAM (1GB is recommended, +512MB is minimum).

For the given machine install with "Lubuntu Alternate Installer". It is meant for low spec machines.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As a collector of old hardware, I think I have a sense of where the OP is coming from: some hardware isn't worth even an additional $10 investment. The interesting challenge becomes one of finding the best use for the thing rather than "bringing it up to date".

@OP

I have run Lubuntu on 256 MB of system RAM. You won't be able to run more than one or two apps at a time, but sometimes, this is all you need. Browsers, however, are memory hogs, and, in its default configuration, the system will quickly go to swap, which has the effect of making the system feel extremely sluggish. You can remedy this to a large extent by setting swappiness to a low number like 10. Instructions are here. However, if your video chip has no dedicated video memory of its own, then your laptop is designed so that it must share the already limited amount of system RAM it has with the video subsystem. This is why many members recommend beefing up your RAM. If this were your production machine, such would be my recommendation as well. However it is clear that you are intending this machine as a solution looking for a problem, so here is my suggestion:

Get your little son a better machine capable of running a proper OS and that is capable of growing with him. Use this ancient thing instead as a command-line-only server/gateway. Some uses include: file server, print server, install rsync to make it a redundant NAS, torrent server, media/music server, vpn-capable router/firewall, or just use it as a spare machine you can monkey with and learn the command line on.

To install a basic command line OS, @fantab's recommendation of the alternate installer is just as valid as for a minimal GUI.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by arpanaut View Post
    go here: http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/r...ecise/release/
    scroll down to lubuntu-12.04-desktop-i386.iso
    and download and burn to cd/dvd, that iso will give you the ability to try lubuntu in a live session
    and see if your hardware is compatible.
    Sorry I should have specified I'm using 12.04 iso - there isn't an option for a live trial.
    CPU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    As a collector of old hardware, I think I have a sense of where the OP is coming from: some hardware isn't worth even an additional $10 investment. The interesting challenge becomes one of finding the best use for the thing rather than "bringing it up to date".

@OP

I have run Lubuntu on 256 MB of system RAM. You won't be able to run more than one or two apps at a time, but sometimes, this is all you need. Browsers, however, are memory hogs, and, in its default configuration, the system will quickly go to swap, which has the effect of making the system feel extremely sluggish. You can remedy this to a large extent by setting swappiness to a low number like 10. Instructions are here. However, if your video chip has no dedicated video memory of its own, then your laptop is designed so that it must share the already limited amount of system RAM it has with the video subsystem. This is why many members recommend beefing up your RAM. If this were your production machine, such would be my recommendation as well. However it is clear that you are intending this machine as a solution looking for a problem, so here is my suggestion:

Get your little son a better machine capable of running a proper OS and that is capable of growing with him. Use this ancient thing instead as a command-line-only server/gateway. Some uses include: file server, print server, install rsync to make it a redundant NAS, torrent server, media/music server, vpn-capable router/firewall, or just use it as a spare machine you can monkey with and learn the command line on.

To install a basic command line OS, @fantab's recommendation of the alternate installer is just as valid as for a minimal GUI.
    Thanks for the info. This machine is actually perfectly capable of running windows XP with no lag or chugging so I was a little surprised Lubuntu isn't really feasable on it. Is there perhaps a lighter weight alternative to Lubuntu whereby this machine can be used as a back-up, almost like netbook, to search for fixes if my main machine goes down? It'll only need a browser really...
    Last edited by Drowz0r; March 24th, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
    CPU

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Drowz0r View Post
    Thanks for the info. This machine is actually perfectly capable of running windows XP with no lag or chugging so I was a little surprised Lubuntu isn't really feasable on it. Is there perhaps a lighter weight alternative to Lubuntu whereby this machine can be used as a back-up, almost like netbook, to search for fixes if my man machine goes down? It'll only need a browser really...
    bodhi linux is a bit lighter, becuse it uses the enlightenment (e17) desktop, it is based on ubuntu. you will need to go to the bodhi app cente website to install application suite, as it starts off bare deliberately. work from there.

midori web browser with user agent set as iphone is useful.

i don't know if you might find an improvement in trying peppermint os, also based on ubuntu.

but if you just want to make sure you have an emergency system on cd/dvd/usb, then get puppy linux precise, you can do web browsing and file manager stuff. its very fast, it loads totally into ram.
    Last edited by black veils; March 24th, 2013 at 12:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast