Thread: Driver's for ATI Radeon 4850

Beans

Driver's for ATI Radeon 4850

Hello everybody. I am new to Linux (Ubuntu 12.10) and I like it so far. I pretty much get everything I wanted from it, except some major things.

Drivers. I need to know if there is any drivers for ATI Radeon 4850 HD. I did a little researching on this, and if I am correct there isn't any. As I recall they (ATI) stopped making them for 2xxx to 4xxx. It's seems that only thing I can do is either wait or downgrade, which I quite frankly don't want to. So if anybody have any solution for this can you please help me. Oh and since I am a noob with Ubuntu, a step by step show would be nice. Also can anyone help me with my other drivers. I am pretty sure that I can find most of the drivers but not sure that they can be compatible with 12.10. Oh yeah, I already installed latest Catalyst but when I rebooted it showed me an error. I can't recall it but there was some other guy's who had the same problem. Also how much RAM do I need to play WoW 3.3.5a with Wine?
    My specs: (I don't have any driver for this, but I did find it for my motherboard, just didn't install them yet)

Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600
    RAM: Kingstone 2gb DDR 2

I hope this is enough.

Sorry (for too many questions) if it is a lousy post, it's my first one.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Driver's for ATI Radeon 4850

Moved to Multimedia & Video

Hello!

There are methods to do what you are asking for, but I think the risks are just far to great for me to personally recommend them. Someone will probably come by and post those.

Just so I don't re-invent the wheel, there is a recent thread here where I discussed just this issue.

I'm not telling you not to use a method to get this done, just that I really don't recommend it. The open source developers have worked very hard on the Radeon driver and it is just fine for the vast majority of users.

I'm also not going to say "Oh, just go out and buy a newer card!"

Best wishes.
    Last edited by QIII; March 10th, 2013 at 03:58 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

OK, thank you for fast reply. But yes you are right I saw some solutions but quite frankly I am thinking of waiting for a little longer to see if there is one. I should get a new PC soon (next month or so) but I will keep this one too. Thank you for the quick reply. I will try to install the other drivers though, if I can make it (wish me luck). Also my internet connection is a little slower than on Win XP, is this because I didn't install Atheros Lan driver or is it something else?

Thanks for quick reply, and I hope that I am not asking too many stupid questions...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The questions you do not ask are the stupid ones!

It would be best to start a new thread in Wireless & Networking for your other question.

Kind regards!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LArchimonde View Post
    OK, thank you for fast reply. But yes you are right I saw some solutions but quite frankly I am thinking of waiting for a little longer to see if there is one.
    If you're waiting for a new driver solution for the existing PC, save yourself the trouble -- there is not going to be one. As you already know, AMD dropped support for that video chipset -- they're not going to change their mind down the road and suddenly support it again.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Ok thanks, but I was thinking on alternative solutions, I should mention this (my mistake). Which ones and is there any at all. If anyone know please post it if you want.

Thanks!