Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DWA-131 Ver b Frm/w 2.00

Beans

DWA-131 Ver b Frm/w 2.00

I've been a general Ubuntu user for about two years now and consider myself to have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Now long story short, I recently purchased a D-link DWA-131 usb wifi adapter on the promise that it would work right out the box. Turns out that this is both true and false. It seems that D-link revised this model at some point and while the old version does work out the box the new one does not.
    Not to be dissuaded I searched the forums and found numerous post on how to get this device running. Unfortunately none of them was directly on point nor did following their directions help. The best that I have been able to accomplish is getting the network manager to show that wireless signals were available but that the device was not ready or that that the firmware was missing. This of course lasted only until I rebooted my machine.
    Can anyone help me with this issue.
    I am currently running Ubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: DWA-131 Ver b Frm/w 2.00

Please open a terminal and run and post:
    Code:
    lsusb
    Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

The result of lsusb is
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2001:330d D-Link Corp.

fyi. I checked the USB_IDS file and my version of DWA-131 is not listed but the previous version is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Code:
    ID 2001:330d D-Link Corp.
    I can't find any way to get this going. We might try ndiswrapper. Did you get a disk of Windows drivers with the device?

This appears to be a very new device. Let's blaze new trails!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Yes, it came with a disc that has Win XP, Vista, and 7 drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for posting this. I've recommended this adapter in the past as 'just works'. Mine does. It looks like I should temper this in the future. I hate it when manufacturers substantially change a device (I'd certain consider changing chipsets/firmware a substantial change) and keeps the model designation.
    Last edited by kurt18947; March 1st, 2013 at 09:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A very interesting case. I downloaded the XP drivers, which are what ndiswrapper requires. A glance at the .inf files confirms it is for your device:
    ;;************************************************ ****************************
    ;; IDs for X86

[DLink.NTx86]

%DLink.DeviceDesc% = RTL8192cu.ndi, USB\VID_2001&PID_330D
    ;; IDs for X64

[DLink.NTamd64]

%DLink.DeviceDesc% = RTL8192cu.ndi, USB\VID_2001&PID_330D
    Also, as you can see, it is an 8192cu device. Unfortunately, the usb.id 2001:330d isn't covered in the latest rtl8192cu driver, nor in compat-wireless. So, it seems, ndiswrapper is the best alternative for now. I am sure it will be covered soon. I have zipped the 32- and 64-bit drivers in a zip file and put it on my personal Dropbox: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58267392/xp.zip

Download the file xp.zip to your desktop. Find out if you need 32- or 64-bit driver files with:
    Code:
    arch
    Get a temporary wired ethernet connection and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
    Right-click the file xp.zip on your desktop and select Extract Here. Now, back to the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i Desktop/xp/WinXP/netrtwlanu.inf   <--or WinX64 if yours is a 64-bit system
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    Is it working? Are we there yet??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've got this adapter as well, and have been trying to get it to work with my 12.10 installation. I've found that a dlink adapter with the same VID and PID is included in the compat-wireless source (rtl8192cu) for kernel 3.8.

So I upgraded to kernel 3.8 from as instructed on http://handytutorial.com/install-lin...u-12-10-12-04/

After upgrading I ran
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rtl8192cu
    . lsmod the gives:
    Code:
    jwad@jwad-LENOVO3000-V100:~$ lsmod | grep 8192
    rtl8192cu              67488  0 
    rtl8192c_common        47737  1 rtl8192cu
    rtlwifi                70250  1 rtl8192cu
    mac80211              541819  5 rtl8192cu,rtl8192c_common,iwl3945,rtlwifi,iwlegacy
    So the module shows up together with my old wireless iwl3945.

But when plugging it in and trying iwconfig the only wireless than shows up is the old one.

Any suggestions? Is my assumption that compat-wireless 3.8 is included in standard kernel 3.8 correct?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The trick, of course, is whether the new kernel's version of rtl8192cu actually covers your device.
    Code:
    modinfo rtl8192cu | grep 330D
    And you can get the old driver iwl3945 to not load by blacklisting it.
    Code:
    sudo su
    echo "blacklist iwl3945" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    modprobe -r iwl3945
    exit
    What was not working about your Intel? Mine works beautifully in every respect.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    A very interesting case. I downloaded the XP drivers, which are what ndiswrapper requires. A glance at the .inf files confirms it is for your device:Also, as you can see, it is an 8192cu device. Unfortunately, the usb.id 2001:330d isn't covered in the latest rtl8192cu driver, nor in compat-wireless. So, it seems, ndiswrapper is the best alternative for now. I am sure it will be covered soon. I have zipped the 32- and 64-bit drivers in a zip file and put it on my personal Dropbox: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58267392/xp.zip

Download the file xp.zip to your desktop. Find out if you need 32- or 64-bit driver files with:
    Code:
    arch
    Get a temporary wired ethernet connection and do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
    Right-click the file xp.zip on your desktop and select Extract Here. Now, back to the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i Desktop/xp/WinXP/netrtwlanu.inf   <--or WinX64 if yours is a 64-bit system
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    Is it working? Are we there yet??
    Everything seemed to go well until I entered the last code
    Code:
    then it returned "FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast