Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Dual booting with custom partitions on my laptop.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Silent Hill
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Dual booting with custom partitions on my laptop.

    So I created all of the partitions on my laptop and had it dual booting nicely. About two days ago, lubuntu wanted to load only on CLI and while I was trying to fix this I broke something and it did not want to let me log in graphically. So while trying to reinstall Lubuntu I accidentally told it to use the whole hard drive. I had to recreate all of the partitions again but for some reason Grub was not able to load windows. It just kept going back to the grub menu when you selected Windows 7.

    Here's my partition setup: 50GGB hard drive
    *150GB Primary partition for Windows
    *36GB Logical partition for Lubuntu
    *4GB Logical partition for Swap for Lubuntu
    *275GB (More or less) Logical Partition for Storage.

    I'm going to try installing lubuntu again on it but I don't want to have that problem again. I think I might have installed grub on the windows partition instead of the small (100MB) partition that windows creates. Would that cause any problems? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Beans
    5,193
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Dual booting with custom partitions on my laptop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Extol11 View Post
    So I created all of the partitions on my laptop and had it dual booting nicely. About two days ago, lubuntu wanted to load only on CLI and while I was trying to fix this I broke something and it did not want to let me log in graphically. So while trying to reinstall Lubuntu I accidentally told it to use the whole hard drive. I had to recreate all of the partitions again but for some reason Grub was not able to load windows. It just kept going back to the grub menu when you selected Windows 7.

    Here's my partition setup: 50GGB hard drive
    *150GB Primary partition for Windows
    *36GB Logical partition for Lubuntu
    *4GB Logical partition for Swap for Lubuntu
    *275GB (More or less) Logical Partition for Storage.

    I'm going to try installing lubuntu again on it but I don't want to have that problem again. I think I might have installed grub on the windows partition instead of the small (100MB) partition that windows creates. Would that cause any problems? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    You don't want to install GRUB on any windows partition, you want it on MBR. On the partitioning window at the bottom you will see a drop down box to choose where boot loader (GRUB) gets placed. Choose sda, assuming you have a single hard disk.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Silent Hill
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Post Re: Dual booting with custom partitions on my laptop.

    Quote Originally Posted by presence1960 View Post
    You don't want to install GRUB on any windows partition, you want it on MBR. On the partitioning window at the bottom you will see a drop down box to choose where boot loader (GRUB) gets placed. Choose sda, assuming you have a single hard disk.
    I do have a single hard drive, it's a laptop. Ok, to be on the clear: That'd be the 100MB (or so) partition that's at the very beginning of the drive, right?
    The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Beans
    5,193
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Dual booting with custom partitions on my laptop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Extol11 View Post
    I do have a single hard drive, it's a laptop. Ok, to be on the clear: That'd be the 100MB (or so) partition that's at the very beginning of the drive, right?
    Incorrect. The MBR is at the very beginning of the disk before any of the partitions.

    Forgot to ask: what windows are you running? Is your machine booting from BIOS or UEFI?

    I would assume it is BIOS because you have logical partitions. If it is UEFI your disk would be gpt and there is no need for logical partitions as there is no limit on partitions on a gpt disk. But I would rather be safe than sorry.
    Last edited by presence1960; March 1st, 2013 at 04:07 AM.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Silent Hill
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Post Re: Dual booting with custom partitions on my laptop.

    Quote Originally Posted by presence1960 View Post
    Incorrect. The MBR is at the very beginning of the disk before any of the partitions.

    Forgot to ask: what windows are you running? Is your machine booting from BIOS or UEFI?

    I would assume it is BIOS because you have logical partitions. If it is UEFI your disk would be gpt and there is no need for logical partitions as there is no limit on partitions on a gpt disk. But I would rather be safe than sorry.
    It's a bios. I'm running windows 7. I had managed to get all of this right the first time but then Lubuntu (for some unknown reason) boots up in CLI form, I log in and try to shut it down with sudo halt and then it doesn't turn off. The next time I boot up Lubuntu, it doesn't want to loging into the LXDE session and just keeps throwing me back into the loging screen every time I input the password right. And I think what I'm talking about is a small 100MB partition that is at the very beginning of the disk. Windows puts it there. I'll try it again tomorrow. I just tell it to install grub in the very beginning of the disk, got it.

    PS: I didn't know that UEFI had those features, dang!
    The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    12,740

    Re: Dual booting with custom partitions on my laptop.

    The small partition at the front of the drive is the Windows boot partition. You don't want to mess with this in any way, because doing so will prevent Windows from booting.

    Grub actually gets installed two places -- a small part to the MBR at the beginning of the drive, and the rest to a Linux partition.

    As mentioned, choose "sda" to install GRUB, not "sda1" -- or any other numbered partition.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Silent Hill
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Post Re: Dual booting with custom partitions on my laptop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    The small partition at the front of the drive is the Windows boot partition. You don't want to mess with this in any way, because doing so will prevent Windows from booting.

    Grub actually gets installed two places -- a small part to the MBR at the beginning of the drive, and the rest to a Linux partition.

    As mentioned, choose "sda" to install GRUB, not "sda1" -- or any other numbered partition.
    I'm going to install it now. Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated.
    The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •