Thread: Windows move automatically to new workspace -- can I disable?

Beans

Windows move automatically to new workspace -- can I disable?

I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug. I'm on 12.10 but had the same behavior on 12.04. If I have any window that isn't fully maximized and I drag it so that more of the window is off the screen than on the screen (something I do frequently on my laptop without a big screen) then when I use Alt-tab to switch to that window, the window jumps out of the workspace it had been in.

I honestly can't understand why this would be a feature but the way it works, it seems like someone must have thought this was a good idea.

In any case, is anyone aware of how to disable this feature? or if this is a bug, can you point me to the bug so I can follow it? I didn't see it on launchpad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Windows move automatically to new workspace -- can I disable?

It happened to me too when I had screenlets or desklets (my memory fails me) running...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Windows move automatically to new workspace -- can I disable?

I have been experiencing in 12.04 apps unexpectedly switching to different workspaces at inconvenient times and I have then had to right click on the top bar of the app window to move it back to its original workspace.

I believe that this thread touches on this behaviour ..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...rkspace&page=2

I don't yet know how to bind apps to specific workspaces.

I use Ctrl+Alt+ right, left, up, down arrows to navigate through workspace matrix.