Thread: Can TEGRITY (online school course video site) be run on Linux? Help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Angry Can TEGRITY (online school course video site) be run on Linux? Help!

I've signed up for some online courses in a computer major, and they've been linking to a site called Tegrity for a bunch of the videos for the online courses. (It's like, Big Brother educational Youtube...?)

I've probed and probed, and while I can download some of the media, I can't actually get the Tegrity videos to play (within the brower, as they want it to) on Linux.

Although I'm not too familiar with the software, something I read on it implies that the teachers would know whether I'd been watching it [note: via THEIR Windows-and-Mac only!] method. In which case they'd think I'm a bad student, even though I've been trying to download it and watch it (and I have managed to download at least some of the mp3 files, which I've listened to- although they have no record of that.)

I *can* dual-boot into Windows- and I've done so for this purpose at times- but I hate using it and most of my work is on the Ubuntu half of my "school" laptop, so I'd basically have to reboot between watching the classes and actually doing the work. (And God help if I had to do some work WHILE watching a class video for reference............)

Anyway, sniveling complaints aside, IS there some way to run Tegrity on Linux? I've found ways to do literally everything else I've needed to for these courses, but this has me stumped. I've wasted so much time trying to find workarounds that it's actually affecting my grades. I can't find anything on Tegrity + Linux online so far (is it too niche? ) but I figured that some of you have surely taken online courses, and perhaps someone's found a workaround...? A little help here? (Please nothing involving a virtual machine!! There are a few reasons why I can't use that.)

Forgive me for posting this at 3AM, but this is when I reached the breaking point of trying to figure this out on my own.
    Project Gutenberg
    ^ Free books. Mostly public-domain, but...
    Dropbox Affiliate Link
    ^ (Because you've never seen one of these before...)

Beans

Re: Can TEGRITY (online school course video site) be run on Linux? Help!

Looking at this...

https://help.tegrity.com/what-are-th...recording.html

You may have luck with vlc.... or you may want to try other browsers..if your using firefox, try chrome or vise versa....

Lastly you can use virtualbox to run a small install of windows just for the video watching....

Hope you find a solution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by ageofsteam View Post
    Forgive me for posting this at 3AM,
    Not a problem, we're open 24 hours a day.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is probably too late, but the university may have free downloads of windows for students, go to the IT department and look for downloads. Then you can install virtualbox and create a windows virtual machine. This is how I watch the tegrity videos.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

If a 'university' offers a 'computer science major' and their materials are only accessible from Windows and Mac I would look elsewhere. Frankly doesn't sound like what a real university with a research faulty would do, it is a diploma program at most
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; May 30th, 2013 at 10:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Well, an update, if anyone cares:
    ...apparently, using Tegrity did count, a bit? Some final grades were lower than the assignment grades' average... Oh well... I managed to get through, and I may try bin/bash's suggestion if my health can survive another semester.

Monkey, the prof in my Javascript course and several of the students used Linux, so there is some hope (they even had several different types, including Redhat and I think Mandriva? I think we may have had about 4 varieties installed in the class, including my Ubuntu and later-installed dual boot Mint.) But the college itself has some school-wide rules, and from what I understand, every course must use Blackboard/Tegrity- including profs who prefer linux and some who don't seem to know much about how to run Blackboard... I think that the lack of full linux support is more of a school-wide rule which also applies to the computer science department; I'm not sure there's anything they can do about it... They really should work something out for full Linux-users, though. I consider Windows to be more of a virus to be endured when needed, but avoided whenever possible. Nothing runs right on it...

I survived, and I'm relieved. But I never did figure out how to run Tegrity without booting into Windows.
    Project Gutenberg
    ^ Free books. Mostly public-domain, but...
    Dropbox Affiliate Link
    ^ (Because you've never seen one of these before...)