Thread: Any DVD Authoring Programs that Do NOT Re-Encode?

Beans

Any DVD Authoring Programs that Do NOT Re-Encode?

Ok, so I have some mpg files totaling at about 4.2 GB - I need to burn this onto a DVD with a simple 1 page menu w/ background image and sound. I usually use Devede, but for some reason it keeps overestimating the size of the DVD - brings it to 115% - and even when I try to burn this I get an error at the end saying that it could create my DVD and "maybe you ran out of disk space" when I have plenty of disk space.... Anyway, does anyone know of any good DVD authoring programs out there that DON'T re-encode?

Beans

Re: Any DVD Authoring Programs that Do NOT Re-Encode?

You can specify what kind of DVD you use with Devede otherwise, try DVD Styler.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In Devede, when you add a file (your DVD compliant file!), go into Properties, then Advanced options, then the Misc tab, there are two options there that will stop Devede re-encoding the file.
    The best things in life are free, so what are we paying for?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmoke View Post
    I usually use Devede, but for some reason it keeps overestimating the size of the DVD - brings it to 115%
    After you add the file click the "adjust disc usage" button in devede, this brings the file below 100%.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Merrattic View Post
    In Devede, when you add a file (your DVD compliant file!), go into Properties, then Advanced options, then the Misc tab, there are two options there that will stop Devede re-encoding the file.

I did that, but for some reason it keeps overestimating the size of the project even though the total of the mpg files is under that of the max capacity of a single layer DVD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by speartip View Post
    After you add the file click the "adjust disc usage" button in devede, this brings the file below 100%.

I thought about doing that, but I figured that would sacrifice some quality..... Don't know why it's saying that it's 115% when the total of the mpg files is less than the max capacity of a single layer DVD.....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It shouldn't sacrifice any quality.
    What quality in kbps is the video on the original file?
    Most are only 1500-2100kbps, whereas devede trys to burn at 5001kbps. So really you're just wasting disc space, as you cannot improve on the quality of the original file.