Thread: Google Earth - no terrain !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Google Earth - no terrain !

Just installed GE from the deb package on my laptop running 12.04 (32-bit) Gnome, and all would be well if I could see the ground !

The first image after the splash screen of the globe just shows the country outlines in yellow against a starry sky.
    Looks really weird.
    Then any location does the same - all the database stuff appears, but over a starry sky.
    The ground has become transparent, like I've developed x-ray eyes.
    Before I re-install, has anyone else had this happen, and is there a solution other than re-installing.
    I can't find any likely choice in Views or Tools "unticked", so any ideas ?
    Same result if I launch from applications, or from a Terminal.

John
    Last edited by grey1beard; February 13th, 2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: additional info
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Google Earth - no terrain !

Well, with no response, I uninstalled it via the software centre, then reinstalled immediately.
    I noticed for the first time that it said launch from Terminal, which I did, and it seems OK this time.
    The previous installation was done from a downloaded .deb, and I launched the program from the menu in Applications/Internet/Google Earth.

I don't know if that was the problem, or just that I got a clean install from USC - unsolvable - but then WTH, it works now.

John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.