Thread: MP3 seek failure

Beans

MP3 seek failure

Hi

I have been working through the thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2002722 but as it's been six months thought it better to start afresh.

I've hit a problem with my encoder, that mp3 files made with it (ffmpeg --libmp3lame) do not allow seeking. It's definitely an encoder fault - the problem is replicated with various players, and with the players files encoded elsewhere work. I have tried all of the solutions on the thread above.

I have successfully encoded the mp3s using a different machine, but it's where my web hosting is and is not really a convenient solution.

The encoder there has highlighted some differences:
    Code:
    Input #0, mp3, from 'infile.mp3':
      Metadata:
        encoder         : Lavf53.21.0
      Duration: 01:01:57.69, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 192 kb/s
        Stream #0.0: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 192 kb/s
    Output #0, mp3, to 'tmp.mp3':
      Metadata:
        TSSE            : Lavf53.2.0
        Stream #0.0: Audio: libmp3lame, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 192 kb/s
    So I guess the problem is with Lavf53. I'd like to roll back the version on my local machine to Lavf53.2.0, and see if that solves the problem, but a quick Google with that as a keyword has led to a number of bug reports and I cannot find how I can roll back.

So I have two questions:
    1) How can I change the lavf53 version?
    2) Is the encoder / TSSE difference relevant?

Thank you for your assistance.

Beans

Re: MP3 seek failure

Perhaps update to latest git FFmpeg, this carries 54. 61.104...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

It makes more sense to use something newer instead of older due to the high development activity in FFmpeg which gives a good chance of your bug being fixed. The only time you will want to use an older version for general usage is if you found a regression in the latest code. You can try a static build via the FFmpeg download page for a quick test without needing to compile.

Beans

Thank you. I installed the Jon Severinsson PPA and this has done the trick. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.