Thread: wireless not working on windows8, ubuntu 12.10 is fine

Beans

wireless not working on windows8, ubuntu 12.10 is fine

Hi, I recently changed from win7 to Ubuntu 12.10 on one of my laptops. Since then, my wireless is acting strange. I have 2 other laptops (win7 and win8) and ipad. As soon as I start my Ubuntu, all other devices show limited connectivity to the wireless (and no internet access). And if I shut down my Ubuntu laptop, they all get access to wireless. Can anyone help me ? thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: wireless not working on windows8, ubuntu 12.10 is fine

Possibly they are competing for access
    Make sure there are sufficient LAN addresses available by DHCP in the wireless router settings
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    Possibly they are competing for access
    Make sure there are sufficient LAN addresses available by DHCP in the wireless router settings
    Sorry, it might sound stupid but how do I make sure of this. I have set the max. no. of DHCP users to 50 and am using Automatic configuration DHCP. Is there anything else I should do at my Ubuntu machine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pshuk View Post
    Sorry, it might sound stupid but how do I make sure of this. I have set the max. no. of DHCP users to 50 and am using Automatic configuration DHCP. Is there anything else I should do at my Ubuntu machine?
    So that sounds like you already have such a setting.
    Lets say your router login IP is 192.168.0.1
    The first LAN IP would likely be 192.168.0.2 and the range can be set from here accordingly
    It's usually under LAN setup
    Start IP
    Finish IP

You may also want to consider rebooting the router.
    And whilst I doubt it, consider if you are using Address reservation... this is where each connecting device is assigned a LAN IP by it's device MAC address
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC