Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 93

Thread: btrfs makes old hdds appear to operate faster

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,926
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    btrfs makes old hdds appear to operate faster

    I was just doing a followup on a suggestion in another thread and achieved a successful install using btrfs.

    The hdd is a Maxtor 5T020H2 (TAH71D0P), 20GB (older).
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,926
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: btrfs makes old hdds appear to operate faster

    at bootup I am still getting :

    error: sparse file not allowed
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown, MI
    Beans
    561
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: btrfs makes old hdds appear to operate faster

    It's a bug, it's nothing to be worried about: http://askubuntu.com/questions/10032...rfs-filesystem

    You can just hit a key and it'll keep booting.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West Hills CA
    Beans
    8,509
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: btrfs makes old hdds appear to operate faster

    Those older Maxtors are good drives. I've had one spinning for over 118,000 hours now.

    Mine is a 20GB, Maxtor 92049U3.

    Sounds like it's time to do some experimenting with btrfs.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

    Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,926
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: btrfs makes old hdds appear to operate faster

    Quote Originally Posted by castrojo View Post
    It's a bug, it's nothing to be worried about: http://askubuntu.com/questions/10032...rfs-filesystem

    You can just hit a key and it'll keep booting.
    Yes .. it is booting well in fact.

    Thanks for the bug link.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,926
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: btrfs makes old hdds appear to operate faster

    Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Those older Maxtors are good drives. I've had one spinning for over 118,000 hours now.

    Mine is a 20GB, Maxtor 92049U3.

    Sounds like it's time to do some experimenting with btrfs.

    I loaded up some programs and then rebooted. Some programs seems to be indexed after the next boot, so they load real fast , ie; System Monitor, but it was not the case for Libre' Office Writer.

    I am going to swap this drive into another system and then do an install on a faster hdd.

    I cannot say , definitively for sure, that the one install so far is actually faster , but, by eyeballing it from previous installs, it appears to be working faster. More experiments needed.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Noosa, Australia
    Beans
    78
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: btrfs makes old hdds appear to operate faster

    Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I loaded up some programs and then rebooted. Some programs seems to be indexed after the next boot, so they load real fast , ie; System Monitor, but it was not the case for Libre' Office Writer.

    I am going to swap this drive into another system and then do an install on a faster hdd.

    I cannot say , definitively for sure, that the one install so far is actually faster , but, by eyeballing it from previous installs, it appears to be working faster. More experiments needed.
    I've done a fair bit of testing of btrfs, partly because of pure curiosity & partly because I specialise in Linux storage technologies for work.

    Are you using default mount flags in your fstab or are you specifying specific mount flags? See: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Mount_options for your options, I found that the defrag and compression specific flags made some difference back when I was testing (late 12.04/12.10 dailies)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Beans
    414
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: btrfs makes old hdds appear to operate faster

    Most computer slowness these days is caused by waiting for IO (unless you have an SSD), so disk compression makes good sense. The CPU(s) have enough idle time that the computational overhead of compression isn't noticeable, and the nice side effect is that it means the HDD has to read/write fewer blocks - hence IO will generally be faster.

    This fact was trumpeted rather loudly by the Solaris crowd when ZFS compression first arrived on the scene.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beta Testing in Canada
    Beans
    5,926
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: btrfs makes old hdds appear to operate faster

    Quote Originally Posted by celluloid View Post
    I've done a fair bit of testing of btrfs, partly because of pure curiosity & partly because I specialise in Linux storage technologies for work.

    Are you using default mount flags in your fstab or are you specifying specific mount flags? See: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Mount_options for your options, I found that the defrag and compression specific flags made some difference back when I was testing (late 12.04/12.10 dailies)

    I am stricktly using (/) root while using 'somthing else' option in Ubiquity.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown, MI
    Beans
    561
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: btrfs makes old hdds appear to operate faster

    You might want to install `apt-btrfs-snapshot`, it'll create a snapshot every time you upgrade, which means theoretically you can undo a bad apt upgrade.

    I've had it installed for a month now but I haven't found the time to actually try rolling back.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •