Thread: Firefox Missing Plugin Help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Firefox Missing Plugin Help

Hey all,

I"m using Firefox on Ubuntu 12.04 and up until now I've been able to view PDF files within the browser. Now it tells me that I'm missing the plugin. I don't know which plugin it is. I have the add-on PDF Viewer 0.7.1 that allowed me to view PDF files within Firefox. I would just like to view PDF files within the Firefox browser again instead of downloading the file everytime since I have to use my school's Blackboard system to access the files. Please help.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Firefox Missing Plugin Help

What does 'ls /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins' show on your system?
    Just guessing, do you have 'ia32-libs-xulrunner' installed? (Don't know if it is needed for PDF Viewer to work on a 64-bit system, but maybe).

Does you browser pass all the tests on http://mozilla.github.com/pdf.js/features?

There is a similar question on the upstream issue tracker for PDF Viewer. A developer says there it's fixed in a nightly build.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by schragge View Post
    What does 'ls /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins' show on your system?
    Just guessing, do you have 'ia32-libs-xulrunner' installed? (Don't know if it is needed for PDF Viewer to work on a 64-bit system, but maybe).

Does you browser pass all the tests on http://mozilla.github.com/pdf.js/features?

There is a similar question on the upstream issue tracker for PDF Viewer. A developer says there it's fixed in a nightly build.
    Here's my output for ls /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins..

Code:
    shadius@shadius-phantom:~$ ls /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
    flashplugin-alternative.so             libtotem-gmp-plugin.so
    libjavaplugin.so                       libtotem-mully-plugin.so
    librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so  libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so
    libtotem-cone-plugin.so
    shadius@shadius-phantom:~$
    It did pass all the tests. As for the ia32-libs-xulrunner, I don't know if I have that installed. How can I check?
    Question Everything

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    As for the ia32-libs-xulrunner, I don't know if I have that installed. How can I check?
    Sorry, I've just checked: there's no such package in Ubuntu, so you definitely don't need it.

I should explain what I was looking for. The add-on page for PDF View states that
    Note: The Adobe Acrobat plugin may conflict with this viewer and should be disabled.
    If you once installed Adobe Reader plugin, I'd
    1. open the address about:plugins in Firefox and check that the plugin is not present or disabled there.
    2. check for any traces of it left on system, i.e. look for file nppdf.so:
      Code:
      find / -name nppdf.so
      The usual locations to look for installed plugins are ~/.mozilla/plugins, /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins and /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, but the list is not exhaustive. This page, albeit quite old and obsolete, gives the idea.

Does your browser expose this behaviour on any PDF files or only on some? Maybe only on PDFs from some websites?

Does the live demo work for you?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Pdfjs has been integrated in firefox now, but apparently isn't stable enough yet to be enabled by default. You can enable it by going to about:config (type in the address bar). Search for pdfjs.disabled and set to false (right click->toggle).

Beans

Newest version of Firefox has now enabled this by default I believe....
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes, now it is. That's firefox 19, installed yesterday.