Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cannot login after mistyped password

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    45

    Cannot login after mistyped password

    I'm using Ubuntu 12.10 with Xfce 4.10 and GDM. If I try to log in and get my password right, it logs me in just fine. If I accidentally mistype my password, I get "Authentication failure", which is expected. However, if I mistype my password and then go back and type my password in correctly, a green check mark appears next to my name in the login screen with the words "currently logged in", and it doesn't log me in. I have to restart my computer before I can log in.

    Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know if you require more information.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    45

    Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    Anybody? This is still a persistent problem, and I would appreciate any insight anybody has. Thanks in advance.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    88
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Question Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralagnus View Post
    If I accidentally mistype my password, I get "Authentication failure", which is expected. However, if I mistype my password and then go back and type my password in correctly, a green check mark appears next to my name in the login screen with the words "currently logged in", and it doesn't log me in.
    I just checked under regular Ubuntu 64-bit by typing the wrong password on purpose, which obviously resulted in "Authentication failure" message but after re-typing my password correctly afterwards it logged me in just fine.

    So to narrow it down, could this obvious bug be a Xfce-specifical?
    Also, are you on 32 or 64-bit?
    Currently running Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal (64bit) installed on core i7 950/ 6GB/Geforce GTX 460 SOC 1GB system.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    45

    Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    I suppose it could be XFCE-specific. I started with a minimal Ubuntu install and slowly built it up using XFCE, so it could be something unique to my setup. I'm using 64-bit.

    Any thoughts or advice?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    6,038

    Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralagnus View Post
    I suppose it could be XFCE-specific. I started with a minimal Ubuntu install and slowly built it up using XFCE, so it could be something unique to my setup. I'm using 64-bit.

    Any thoughts or advice?
    I run Lubuntu 12.04 non-pae on an old IBM Thinkpad. I have installed xubuntu-desktop into it. So I tried to log in to an XFCE-session by first typing a bad password, and then typing it correctly. It works for me, I get logged in (without reboot).

    What log in screen are you using?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    45

    Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I run Lubuntu 12.04 non-pae on an old IBM Thinkpad. I have installed xubuntu-desktop into it. So I tried to log in to an XFCE-session by first typing a bad password, and then typing it correctly. It works for me, I get logged in (without reboot).
    Interesting. Any ideas what could be causing the problem on my end? I'm not sure where to look.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    6,038

    Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    - What log in screen are you using?

    - Can you log in to a text screen with this hotkey combination?

    ctrl + alt + F3

    [... F1 -- F6] gives you text screens and

    ctrl + alt + F7 turns you back to the graphics screen.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    45

    Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    - What log in screen are you using?

    - Can you log in to a text screen with this hotkey combination?

    ctrl + alt + F3

    [... F1 -- F6] gives you text screens and

    ctrl + alt + F7 turns you back to the graphics screen.
    I'm using GDM for my login. I can log into the text screen just fine. In fact, in the text screen, I can log in with the wrong password, then try the right one, and it works. So it sounds like it's a GDM problem. Any thoughts?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    6,038

    Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    Try lightdm (that is what I use).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Beans
    45

    Re: Cannot login after mistyped password

    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Try lightdm (that is what I use).
    Good call. Not only does lightdm work perfectly, but one look tells me that it's much more robust than gdm ever was. I'm sticking with lightdm from here on out.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •