Thread: Freezes at purple screen

Beans

Freezes at purple screen

I load from “Try Ubuntu” in 12.10 and it freezes at the purple screen (no desktop showing) but is logged in because certain commands work - sreenshot and control, alt, delete logs out and allows correct shut down.
    I have been using Ubuntu for over a year now on an 11 year old computer for payments, banking, etc. and this computer is used for nothing else. It has windows XP loaded on it but I use an Ubuntu live disc (downloaded) and 11.10 and 12.04 have always loaded correctly (an occasional hitch but reloading alway worked). This older computer has a Radeon 9000 graphics card.
    I have tried thie live disc on my newer computer and it boots in all the way. The newer computer has an Nvidia GeForce 7025 graphics card.
    Anyone know a work around?

Beans

Re: Freezes at purple screen

Hi,

The Unity desktop environment in Ubuntu 12.10 requires a video card capable of modern hardware 3D OpenGL acceleration, which the Radeon 9000 is probably incapable of. I suggest trying the options on this sticky thread related to the topic.

If those don't pan out, I suggest using a more lightweight version of Ubuntu, such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Beans

Freezes at purple screen

Thanks Windscape.
    I am working through the various shortcuts etc and will post if i find what works

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Merged Threads
    Please click 'new reply' on the thread instead of 'new thread' in the forum

Thanks!

Beans

Thanks Sandyd. (I will get used to it)
    Thanks Windscape and the others.
    Have tried some of the suggestions but can get no joy.
    I will use the newer computer.