Hi everyone! I've been an Ubuntu user for a little over half a year now; first time poster but long time browser of this site. I'm having an issue that I haven't been able to resolve through previous threads or research.

I have a Windows 8 laptop that up until recently showed my Ubuntu system on the network and had no connectivity issues. A few days ago, it suddenly stopped showing up on the Win 8 network and I can't access it anymore. I had some issues with using sudo that required a few edits to the sudoers file; I suspect it may be related to this, but I have no idea. I run a dual boot on my Ubuntu desktop, also with Windows 8 and the laptop can access it fine when Win 8 is loaded, so I'm sure the issue isn't with the laptop.

I tried the procedures in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1981511 with no success and afterward restored my smb.conf file to how I found it. I can ping the Ubuntu machine from the laptop via IP address with no issues, making me further wonder why it won't show up on the network.

If you need any output files or futher information, let me know and I'll be happy to provide them. Thanks a lot in advance!