Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: accounting software for a small hardware business

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    1

    accounting software for a small hardware business

    hi just wondering if you could suggest any accounting software that would do inventory, invoices, and purchase orders. got a lot of items like 3,000 items in my warehouse which i would like to use the program.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    1,175
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

    Re: accounting software for a small hardware business

    You asked in wrong subforum.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Chesapeake Bay
    Beans
    119
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: accounting software for a small hardware business

    Unfortunately no, Quickbooks is really the only reason I keep an XP box around. If you find something I'd be interested as well, intuiut seems to be lowering the bar, not raising it, but when I went looking a couple of years ago quickbooks was no longer wine supported after around 2004, and there were no native linux options that could produce invoices and track inventory.

    I've heard good things about gnucash but it's more of a personal account manager than a business application.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Porirua, New Zealand
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: accounting software for a small hardware business

    Not a support request for Ubuntu Studio.
    Thread moved to The Community Cafe.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: accounting software for a small hardware business

    Quote Originally Posted by ongandrew2 View Post
    hi just wondering if you could suggest any accounting software that would do inventory, invoices, and purchase orders. got a lot of items like 3,000 items in my warehouse which i would like to use the program.
    there is openERP. but maybe that is overkill?

    i have no experience over it.

    Also there might be some web based solutions for this that are OS independent. we use such a local solution for accounting.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Al Ain
    Beans
    7,975

    Re: accounting software for a small hardware business

    SQL-Ledger or god forbid, Quickbooks on a WinXP virtual machine.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Beans
    1,933
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

    Re: accounting software for a small hardware business

    Quote Originally Posted by elgordodude View Post
    Unfortunately no, Quickbooks is really the only reason I keep an XP box around. If you find something I'd be interested as well, intuiut seems to be lowering the bar, not raising it, but when I went looking a couple of years ago quickbooks was no longer wine supported after around 2004, and there were no native linux options that could produce invoices and track inventory.

    I've heard good things about gnucash but it's more of a personal account manager than a business application.
    Gnucash is definitely not a good replacement for Quickbooks.

    What makes you say that Intuit is lowering the bar? I'm actually liking the newer versions a lot better. I'm using 2010, and I love the fact that they finally added a feature to let you attach scanned paperwork to entries. Before that, I had to rely on an expensive 3rd party solution that was a huge SQL monster. I like where they're going and how they're finally integrating things that should have been integrated from the beginning. And you just can't beat their payroll service.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Metro Boston
    Beans
    9,034
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: accounting software for a small hardware business

    Intuit now offers a cloud-based version if you're not averse to storing your business's financial and inventory data on its servers. That approach avoids the need for a Windows machine if that's a real issue, but if you have a licensed Windows CD or DVD lying around, I'd install Windows inside a VirtualBox virtual machine and run the actual application from there. One nice feature is being able to take portable snapshots of the virtual machine as a backup mechanism.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

    Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    9

    Re: accounting software for a small hardware business

    Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    SQL-Ledger or god forbid, Quickbooks on a WinXP virtual machine.
    Or you could try Qucikbooks On Wine. Sometimes wine doent play well with windows software, sometimes its okay, it all just depends. wine would be lighter weight then VirtualBox.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Metro Boston
    Beans
    9,034
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: accounting software for a small hardware business

    Quote Originally Posted by besial View Post
    Or you could try Qucikbooks On Wine. Sometimes wine doent play well with windows software, sometimes its okay, it all just depends. wine would be lighter weight then VirtualBox.
    Earlier in this thread we have:
    Quote Originally Posted by elgordodude View Post
    [W]hen I went looking a couple of years ago quickbooks was no longer wine supported after around 2004....
    I don't know whether that is still true, but it's why I recommended VirtualBox. Presumably this would be running on a dedicated machine.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

    Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •