Thread: Laptop is not charging

Beans

Question Laptop is not charging

I have a Sony Vaio VPCSB1X9E (Specification) and on every Linux distro I get the same charging issue. I think it is related to the Linux Kernel but I'm not sure. I'm running Ubuntu 12.10. Basically when I plug in the charger the green light on the power button goes on and off rapidly instead of staying as it is. I don't have this issue on Windows 7 or 8. It doesn't charge the battery and I get annoying warnings stating that it is charging for a second and then that it is on low battery. Unfortunately I can't find any useful help on google regarding this issue. I have tried so many things but none worked. Even if I remove the battery and run the laptop only with the charger connected, the laptop switches off after some random time. This indicates that it is not a battery issue but an issue regarding how the laptop receives energy I guess. I would appreciate any help I could get as I really love ubuntu and want to stick to it. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Laptop is not charging

The specs show a "stamina" mode and a "speed" mode. This is probably a BIOS-managed power draw that the Linux kernel doesn't know how to handle. I would first search for a BIOS upgrade and reflash that. If no change, then I would file a bug against the kernel--since you haven't found any workarounds on the web. Sonys are known for the proprietary chips and protocols--not linux-friendly usually. Thinkpads are ugly, slow, but quite compatible. Sony's are sleek, colorful, and good for running Windows8.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    thinkpads are ugly, slow, but quite compatible.
    +1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    The specs show a "stamina" mode and a "speed" mode. This is probably a BIOS-managed power draw that the Linux kernel doesn't know how to handle. I would first search for a BIOS upgrade and reflash that. If no change, then I would file a bug against the kernel--since you haven't found any workarounds on the web. Sonys are known for the proprietary chips and protocols--not linux-friendly usually. Thinkpads are ugly, slow, but quite compatible. Sony's are sleek, colorful, and good for running Windows8.
    Thanks for your help. The bios update didn't help. How can I report this bug?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rawa93 View Post
    Thanks for your help. The bios update didn't help. How can I report this bug?
    If your laptop is incompatible with linux, you can help everyone by posting here.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543009