Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which of the following laptops is best if I plan to use ubuntu based linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Which of the following laptops is best if I plan to use ubuntu based linux

Hi,

I plan to buy a new laptop and I have shortlisted following 3 models:

1. Lenevo G580
    2. HP Pavilion G4-2049TX
    3. Dell New Inspiron 14R-N5420

All the 3 models have almost same specs with same price range. I plan to use ubuntu based OS. Which of them offers a better linux support?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Which of the following laptops is best if I plan to use ubuntu based linux

I would go for Lenovo (considering all the other specifications are equal) it has Intel HD4000 graphics. Intel graphics have very good support for Linux. Dell has Intel HD3000 for graphics and HP has AMD Radeon HD 7670M. (Radeon uses proprietary drivers in Linux); generally these are good but unlike Intel you MAY have issues. Having said that I haven't yet used AMD Radeon yet so, I am not the expert. Look up in the forums for the Radeon Graphics and confirm if there are any issues.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

I'm not sure about Lenovo (not just for Linux). Our company used their laptops and from my point of view they break a bit too often. So I'd go with Dell.

Beans

I looked up all your suggested laptops in Ubuntu's certified hardware list, didn't find any of them. BUT this doesn't mean no of them will run it!!!

I search up briefly on Google if they had good Ubuntu support:

I found that the Lenovo got a good reference for supporting Ubuntu here: http://blog.peacon.co.uk/ubuntu-12-1...g580-i5-3210m/

Is the Lenovo G580 a Good Machine for Ubuntu 12.10?
    With many machines, running Ubuntu still means some compromises, for example on the Dell Mini 1012 battery life is poor (compared to Windows) and resume is unreliable, even with a spinning disk.

But with the G580, the OS is rock-sock and the system performs brilliantly. Power consumption seems well controlled, and KVM VMs run well too.
    Hope this help!!

Beans
    Distro

Below here is link for specs of all the 3
    http://www.ishopper.com/laptops/comp...59324061--907/

for the purpose of better suggestion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I didn't look up the specs for any of those listed; but, I will agree that going with Intel or nvidia graphics is a fairly safe bet. I'm a big AMD/ATI fan and a lot of them have worked in linux with a little work.

Stay away from anything with a VIA chipset. There's little or no linux support for them(AFAIK). I haven't had anything with this chipset lately. One older laptop I have with a VIA chipset will not even consider linux. Finally junked it when Win2k quit being supported by MS. It wouldn't run anything else.

Good luck.
    Some computers are like Slinkys. Not really much good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
    Don't be discouraged! Remember, an amateur built the Ark. Experts built the Titanic.
    Registered Linux User #434788

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The very best way for you to know whether or not Ubuntu will work well with the computers you listed is to try out the actual systems with Ubuntu. Here is a link that tells you how to put Ubuntu on a USB flash drive to try it out:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Booting from the flash drive and choosing "Try Ubuntu" will allow you to evaluate how Ubuntu works with each system without making changes to the Hard Drive on the system you are evaluating. If it doesn't work well, shut the system down and decline to purchase it. If it does work well, you can then make your decision to purchase with a clearer idea of the system's compatibility with Ubuntu.

Do NOT install Ubuntu on a system you are just evaluating; that would lead to an unhappy seller.
    System76 Serval Pro 7: Ubuntu 14.04; Dell Latitude D800: Lubuntu 14.04

Ubuntu problems? http://www.googlubuntu.com/

Beans
    Hidden!

One thing about Lenovo, some models have display issue problems, the L512 for example
    i have one. It does work well with ubuntu otherwise, but i don't like the display, when it
    has issues.

There is some more info on this in this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2097169

I am not familiar with the G580, the display issue does not happen often, very annoying when it does. It produces a grainy, pixelated effect with color distortions. I have 2 acer
    laptops, very pleased with them, one i use as a dedicated linux machine, it works well
    with any distro i have tried.

I wish i could say better things about the Lenovo, but for the price i paid i am not
    happy with the quality.

Beans
    Distro

This is a very good suggestion. I always have a flash drive in my pocket with about three- four linux distros installed on it ( With help of Multisystem). This thought never came to my mind when I visited each of the company showroom of respective brands in my city. I will keep this in mind when I visit them next time. But I have doubt that sales person will allow me do so.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    One thing about Lenovo, some models have display issue problems, the L512 for example
    i have one. It does work well with ubuntu otherwise, but i don't like the display, when it
    has issues.

There is some more info on this in this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2097169

I am not familiar with the G580, the display issue does not happen often, very annoying when it does. It produces a grainy, pixelated effect with color distortions. I have 2 acer
    laptops, very pleased with them, one i use as a dedicated linux machine, it works well
    with any distro i have tried.

I wish i could say better things about the Lenovo, but for the price i paid i am not
    happy with the quality.
    I too have two acers. Infact currently I posting on this thread with my acer aspire 5920. But I am very disappointed with battery performance of acer. In case of both acer models battery life expired in 30 to 36 months. I have Dell Inspiron Mini 1018 too. I have been using it since last 22 months and battery life is still 81% of original capacity. So I would never buy an acer once again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast