Thread: HP Pavilion DV6 Wifi Constantly Spiking and Dropping

Beans

HP Pavilion DV6 Wifi Constantly Spiking and Dropping

I am running Xubuntu 11.10. About a month ago the wifi was working fine, but one day it just started spiking like crazy and dropping me frequently -- sometimes once or twice a minute, sometimes I can stay connected for about 20 mins.

I am not having this problem with any other devices in the house (laptop w/ Windows 7, mobile phone), so I don't think it is a router issue.

I have tried updating the router firmware & the wlan driver controller and installed wicd network manager, but I am a relative newbie to Xubuntu, so it's possible I did something incorrectly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Beans

Re: HP Pavilion DV6 Wifi Constantly Spiking and Dropping

I had that problem too. One crude way is to pull out your wireless dongle and plug it back in. Seems to reset your wifi and gets your wireless dongle working correctly again.

I got mine in a dock on the desktop here and it acts up once and awhile, losing signal and dropping wifi, when before it would pick up wifi just fine. I just pull it out and plug it back in. I think it somehow gets corroded on the contact points in the dock after a few months.

Also try to clean the contact points with a qtip and some rubbing alcohol inside of the dock and on the dongle itself.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't forget about development options up in the XDA forums on their flagship device at this link here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=860

Beans

Re: HP Pavilion DV6 Wifi Constantly Spiking and Dropping

Thanks for your reply. But I am not using a dongle (I assume by 'dongle' you mean a USB wireless adapter). I HAVE tried this as a solution, but it doesn't really make a difference. Ideally I would just like to use the built-in wifi capabilities of my laptop, but I'd use the USB adapter if it meant a stable connection.

Anyone else have any ideas? This is driving me nuts!