Ok first off, I am not very experienced with linux. I have only just installed it today so bare with me if I am unsure how to access certain things and mess with the terminal. I installed the Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit flavor using a bootable USB. I went through the installer and chose to boot alongside my Windows 7 OS. Everything installs fine, im able to access the internet but I cannot get on websites such as Facebook and some of my university sites. I have tried getting on these sites using Firefox, Chrome, and Chromium and all give me the same problem. I don't believe this is a network problem as I have no problem getting on any website while in Windows 7. I have tried searching for a solution to this problem for a while and it seems that many others have the same issues but it appears no real fix has been found.

I figured making a new post about this would not only put out the specifics of my problem but also get knowledge of this issue circulating a bit more for others having similar problems.
Does anyone have an idea what could possibly be the issue here? Thanks.