Thread: Can't print PDFs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Can't print PDFs?

Hey guys, so I have a fairly new wireless Lexmark printer on my network that I am able to print to just fine via Firefox and LibreOffice for example under my 12.04 LTS 64 bit install but not within Evince....I open a PDF with the default viewer, the printer is already on, configured, and set as the default within the Printing app, but the print button is not enabled....It is greyed out and closing and reopening the PDF in Evince does not enable the button either....

The Firefox and Chromium can't open the PDF either so how do I fix Evince to work with my configured printer? I am aware there is a linux version of Adobe Reader but I do not want to use it.
    613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Beans
    Distro

Re: Can't print PDFs?

Is anyone able to print PDF files under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x64? If so, using what application and what kind of printer?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

As a work-around: firefox should be able to open (most) PDFs. You can install the pdfjs plug-in or use the build-in version, which is disabled by default. To enable it, type "about:config" in the address bar, click the warning away, search for pdfjs and set pdfjs.disabled to false. For me it works most of the time. You may give it a try.

I've never had any problems with evince and printing pdf, but I use 32 bit. I can't help you with that. (FYI, it was on an older model HP)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    As a work-around: firefox should be able to open (most) PDFs. You can install the pdfjs plug-in or use the build-in version, which is disabled by default. To enable it, type "about:config" in the address bar, click the warning away, search for pdfjs and set pdfjs.disabled to false. For me it works most of the time. You may give it a try.

I've never had any problems with evince and printing pdf, but I use 32 bit. I can't help you with that. (FYI, it was on an older model HP)
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I have enabled that and Firefox is still not able to open the PDF....The page simply comes up blank with no error

Beans
    Distro

Just an update that I got the native Firefox PDF viewer working now and luckily it is able to print PDFs if anyone is having the same issue with Evince...I have tried to even contact its developers but have not received any response back in over a month.