Thread: PanP6 in need of some love

Beans

PanP6 in need of some love

Hello System76,

I bought a PanP6 3 years ago. Over time a few inconsequential things have slowly degraded and I've managed to work around them with not much trouble. However, it now has some issues that are more difficult to ignore and make it a pain to use and I have good reasons to believe that they're hardware related.

It's worth noting that although I'm careful with my machine, as a programmer I'm a heavy user. I'm wondering if my PanP6 has reached its typical life expectancy limit and I should just contemplate buying a new laptop, or if there's still the possibility of salvaging this one by tuning it up.

Who do I talk to regarding this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: PanP6 in need of some love

Just curious but what types of problems are you running into? I have a PanP5 which has been my primary system for 3.5 years now, and it goes with me everywhere. Maybe I've been lucky or just careful, but thus far the only problem I've had is the webcam dying after about a year of use. Other than that I've had no problems, so I'm curious to see what you're facing just in-case similar problems creep-up on this end.
    Linux User since 1996, #242069
    System 76 PanP5 - 64bit Xubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Bite the bullet, back up your data, and pull the machine apart. Put some new heat paste on the CPU and blow the motherboard with compressed air, reseat all of the connectors, resolder the power jack, and reassemble. That should get you at least a year.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Bite the bullet, back up your data, and pull the machine apart. Put some new heat paste on the CPU and blow the motherboard with compressed air, reseat all of the connectors, resolder the power jack, and reassemble. That should get you at least a year.
    Thank you. I opened up my system and it turns out the power jack was the culprit. I replaced it and applied some thermal paste to the cpu and lo and behold my problems are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by samalex View Post
    Just curious but what types of problems are you running into? I have a PanP5 which has been my primary system for 3.5 years now, and it goes with me everywhere. Maybe I've been lucky or just careful, but thus far the only problem I've had is the webcam dying after about a year of use. Other than that I've had no problems, so I'm curious to see what you're facing just in-case similar problems creep-up on this end.
    The only problem I had before the power jack issue was my sound card which gave up about a year after I bought the laptop. But that was a minor issue since you can find a decent usb sound card for 20$ to 50$.

All other issues that were solved as a result of replacing the power jack and applying the thermal paste:
    - overheating
    - I had to turn and twist the power connection to find a good position to power the laptop
    - my screen was flickering like crazy with dis-coloration and horizontal lines, I had to find a good position to work.
    - some keyboard keys would randomly become unresponsive for hours and rebooting had no effect whatsoever (most annoying issue ever).
    - my usb sound device when moved slightly, would send the kernel into a panic, which resulted in freezing the computer.

After replacing the power jack and applying thermal paste things are running smoothly once more.

Beans
    Distro

Let us know if you make it for 1 year without any more problems. At least you saved a few trees. Regarding sound, did you attempt to resolder the 3.5 mm headphone jack? Because of plugging and unplugging, the solder joints get weak and you have no sound. It's a common problem. It's rare that a sound chip blows out, but it depends on your style of music I guess.

Good job on the repair. Expect to start receiving broken laptops in the mail.
    Last edited by tgalati4; January 16th, 2013 at 12:50 AM.

Beans

Your comment made me test my sound card and wouldn't you know it, it works again! After using an external one for 2 years, I had just assumed that the onboard one was done. Last time I tested it was 6 months ago and it still wasn't outputting any sound. Maybe cleaning up the mobo did it.

Well, my PanP6 is officially back to its old self.

Beans
    Distro

Yea, it's hard to kill a sound chip unless you like to listen to "Killers of Bass" frequently.