Thread: Can't install updates

Beans

Unhappy Can't install updates

Since yesterday I can't install any updates anymore. I just get an error like this:
    "can't sync mmap - msync (5: input -/ output error)"
    I get this message no matter if I use Synaptic or apt-get in terminal.
    Do anyone out there have any clue what that error could mean?

Beans

Re: Can't install updates

Apparently this is a known bug.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...pt/+bug/796849

mmap is a C function that allows and maps files to memory, so it is kind of worrisome that this might be hardware related.

Try to run:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    Then:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Also does apt inform you of any broken dependencies on an update?

Regards,
    - D4rk0wl

Beans

I just tried out your advice.
    sudo apt-get clean
    did the first trick, the error about mmap is gone. Unfortunally the error with sync (5: Input- /output error) is still there.

Another strange thing appeared just 5 Minutes ago. As I started my machine he booted into some kind of terminal called "setramfs" or something like that. After one reboot I grub showed me a boot list (the first time ever since I use Lubuntu). Choosing "normal start" crashed my machine. Another reboot got me back my usual Lubuntu.

I hope this was the last time I run into such strange things...

Edit: No broken dependencies on my machine (the only nice thing)

Beans

The trouble get more every day, now my file-system is mounted read-only
    I tried secure mode from grub, started fsck, fixed all found errors. Than I was able to install all updates for VLC-Mediaplayer.
    From time to time my filesystem is mounted read-only and if I get an writable HDD the same errors for updates occure than before. Even "apt-get clean" doesn't work as described before.
    This are very wiered things, so I would be glad if someone would have a clue what I can do.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by DrKosy View Post
    The trouble get more every day, now my file-system is mounted read-only
    I tried secure mode from grub, started fsck, fixed all found errors. Than I was able to install all updates for VLC-Mediaplayer.
    From time to time my filesystem is mounted read-only and if I get an writable HDD the same errors for updates occure than before. Even "apt-get clean" doesn't work as described before.
    This are very wiered things, so I would be glad if someone would have a clue what I can do.
    Open up that box and check your connections. Just make sure everything is plugged in alright, and make sure the jumper on your HDD is in the correct spot.

I had some boot and disk oddities a while back, and it amounted to a somehow - got - loose HDD connection. Don't ask me how, that just fixed it. Might be something you want to look at.

Beans

I do not know how but it just happend that my machine installed all updates as expected.
    Nevertheless I'll check all my cables and things.
    I'll report about my monitoring.

Edit: After two days of smooth work I hope my problems are finally gone. What a great feeling
    Last edited by DrKosy; January 15th, 2013 at 06:50 PM.