Thread: Gedit's disappearing search bar

Beans

Gedit's disappearing search bar

When I do a search in gedit, and then click anywhere outside of the search box, the search box disappears, and I have to hit Ctrl+F to get the search box back. How do I make the search box stay visible all the time so I don't have to keep on pushing Ctrl+F every 5 seconds?
    I tried looking for a setting for this in the Preferences, but couldn't find one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Gedit's disappearing search bar

There is a good point for doing this.
    If you click on your text you usually have found what you want, so the box closes to prevent it from blocking part of the screen.
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you click the little down arrow, it will continue onto the next item without closing until you move off of it.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for the responses.

I guess I have to justify why I want to the search bar not to disappear before anyone can say if it's possible or not.

The words I am searching are short words, that are used occasionally many times on a line, and occasionally not at all. So when I search for a word, I look at where I see it, realize that's not the line I want, click 4 lines lower to move my cursor and bam, the search bar disappears right when I'd need to click the down arrow again. The alternative there is not to move my cursor by clicking 4 lines lower, and instead, click the down arrow in the search bar 20 times to skip all the 20 search matches on those 3 lines. Oh the fun.

And if I happen to a bit slow, look away for a moment, and definitely don't click anywhere at all, the search bar still disappears! Ah-ha, the user is too slow, let's make the user work even more slower by forcing them to click around the menus to get the search bar back! It's like it's designed to be as annoying as possible!

Beans

You can hit Ctrl+G to "Find Next" or Shift+Ctrl+G to "Find Previous"
    You can also install this plugin http://code.google.com/p/advanced-find/ , for advanced search .