Hi all,

I'm trying to build an Ubuntu XBMC machine and I'm having problems with HDMI audio. I've installed a spanking new version of 12.04 and done a full update. I've also installed the current recommended NVidia drivers which seem to work fine. However I don't get audio over HDMI. In fact I get a constant static style hiss from the speakers. After a bit of research I found I should use aplay -l to determine my device. The problem is my device isn't listed!!! When I do aplay -l I only see one device which looks something like this:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I can find many many thread on how to solve HDMI audio problems but they mostly seem to start with the assumption that the HDMI device is recognised by alsa. I've read a few threads that suggest that the kernel may need updating with a patch, but those threads seem to be out of date and newer ones suggest that NVidia HDMI audio should just work with 12.04.

How would I go about determining why aplay doesn't list my card? What logs should I look at and what should I be searching for in them to find the problem? I've not had much experience in debugging issues like this so don't know where to start.

I'm using a PCI-E NVidia GForce 8600GT

Any help would be much appreciated,
Stu