Thread: Need advice regarding upgrading from 10.04 to 12.04

Beans

Question Need advice regarding upgrading from 10.04 to 12.04

I'm currently using Ubuntu 10.04 and I'm hoping to upgrade to 12.04. What I want to know is that will the upgrading process remove my currently installed applications.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Need advice regarding upgrading from 10.04 to 12.04

Usually it is third party PPA's that will get dropped, but there can be other bumps in the road. You will be going from gnome2 to gnome3 and to a new desktop called Unity. Also 12o4 uses more resources.

Bottom line is backup before you upgrade to be safe.

And welcome to the forum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Backups are important.

Even if upgrading and not a new clean install, download the full liveCD or USB flash and test the new 12.04 on your system. Both to see if everything works. Often many have video issues. Also new Unity is a lot different.

I also like to include in my backups a list of all installed apps. But my backup is assuming if major issues I will do a new install and restore data as I backup data, /home settings and some other info.

Oldfred's list of stuff to backup May 2011:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1748541
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm in the same boat, and it's clearly been a while since I've been on top of Ubuntu matters. I take it I can now upgrade directly to 12.04 instead of having to go through each version?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hawthorne62 View Post
    I'm in the same boat, and it's clearly been a while since I've been on top of Ubuntu matters. I take it I can now upgrade directly to 12.04 instead of having to go through each version?

Thanks in advance.
    Thats right, have a look here.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...Search&lang=en

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hawthorne62 View Post

Thanks in advance.
    You can always upgrade from one LTS release to the next LTS release, if that's what you mean, without going through the interim releases in between ...

As for OP, yes, all your apps should be retained, but only if they are included in the newer release. For instance, Evolution has been dropped as the default email client and Thunderbird is the default again. So, there can be glitches. (There are a couple of other defaults that have changed also which I can't remember right now.)

The change to Unity is the biggie, though, and if you've never used it I would definitely recommend trying it first (from a LiveCD, as suggested previously by oldfred). You might want to change your desktop environment if you don't like it (as some, including myself, don't ... I use xfce/Xubuntu).
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 3rd, 2013 at 02:56 AM.