Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impossible install

Beans

Impossible install

Good afternoon,
    I am trying to install Ubuntu (and other Linux issues like Zorin, Bodhi etc) but I just encounter several problems.
    But then I finally did install it, Ubuntu, once but then again there was an unexpected problem and it did not work anymore, it just ask me user and password and nothing else so I uninstall it.
    Now I am trying to re install it and I just get this (see attachment). I try many times already, with and without internet connection. Note: I already get this message on my first attempt, then I remove the internet connection (cable) and it works fine. But then, as I said, I uninstall it and now no way to re install.
    Is there a real way to give up with Windows? I really trying my best but I end up in nothing and burning hours and hours.
    Can somebody help me step by step with clear instruction?
    Thank you all and happy new year. See the attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Impossible install

First of all, don't try and install 11.04 as it is no longer supported. This is why the installer can't download the iso file.

Try installing 12.04 instead, instuctions are on the web site.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...g-term-support
    Last edited by Cheesemill; December 30th, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

you are using a bad way to install, you better install it as dual boot.
    go for ubuntu 12.04.

Beans

Hi, thanks for fast replay.
    I did install 12.04 already (I don't remember the screen resolution) but it was too slow. Really impossible to use as slow. So I install 11 and it was fast, just insufficient resolution. But now that I remove it due to a mysterious accident and now I cannot reinstall it as you can see from the screen shot.

"First of all, don't try and install 11.04 as it is no longer supported. This is why the installer can't download the iso file."
    On my first attempt i did install it removing the cable from internet but now not anymore. my first attempt was 2 days ago.

"you are using a bad way to install, you better install it as dual boot"
    What is dual boot?
    I have no dvd as it is a joybook.

Any suggestion to reinstall it (not 12.04)? Thanks to all
    Last edited by maxrubino; December 30th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Don't use 11.04 as it has reached end-of-life.
    This means that it doesn't receive bug fixes or security updates any more and you won't get support for using it.

Instead you should install 12.04 and fix your issue with it being slow rather than using an outdated OS.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by maxrubino View Post
    What is dual boot?
    What you appear to be doing is a WUBI install
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_%2...u_installer%29

a proper dual boot installs Ubuntu (or whichever system is being used) on it's own partition(s). Ubuntu installs the GRUB boot loader to take care of choosing which OS to boot to.

Here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

You might like to look at Xubuntu or Lubuntu if you find 12.04 too slow on your system.
    http://xubuntu.org/
    http://lubuntu.net/
    Michael

Beans

Hi, thanks.
    I think I can install 12 as I did it already. then how to fix these issues?
    It was ssslllooowww, anytime i have to click something I have to wait minutes for reaction. So even install a program from the software center was impossible.
    Or better to try Lubuntu?
    I cannot use DVD as it is a Joybook.
    Bye
    Last edited by maxrubino; December 30th, 2012 at 04:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Have you read through this?

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...g-term-support

Note section 4 - Allocate drive space.

Option 1: Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7. That will give you a dual boot system where you will get a menu and you can choose to boot/load either Ubuntu or Windows.

This is the better way to install Ubuntu as it is an independent operating system. The method that you are trying is called , by us, a Wubi install. It installs Ubuntu inside Windows and Ubuntu runs as if it is a Windows application.

This method is useful if you want to examine Ubuntu without altering your hard disk. Ubuntu can be uninstalled as easily as uninstalling a Windows application. But a Wubi install is not designed as a long term method of using Ubuntu. This is why we are recommending the dual boot method.

Ubuntu 12.04 may not give a good user experience when it is run on a low specification machine and inside Windows because it does not have direct access to the hardware.

You might have a different experience if Ubuntu is directly installed onto the machine's hardware as a dual boot system.

Looking here I see that

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...lite-u101.aspx

the Joybook has a 1.6-GHz Intel Atom processor with 1.5GB of RAM. That should be sufficient to run Ubuntu 12.04.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; December 30th, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Mmh,
    i did not know this delicate technical difference.
    I use to avoid a "real installation" as I did it with Zorin and Bodhi and then I could not anymore uninstall it and I had to reset completely the computer as, after a problem, I receive on start up only "no partition bootable...."
    and I would like not to reset again the whole computer also because i have no Windows disk and I have to go to the shop and pay.
    So, if I will try a real installation, do you suggest me Lubuntu or Ubuntu?
    And if then too slow, how can I remove it? In an easy way for a non programmer like me.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You have several options. One of them is to simply install a standard Ubuntu as a dual boot and see how it goes. If it is too slow for you, you can easily install the desktop package for both Xubuntu and Lubuntu and see which one you like best. You can choose which one to start when you log in. They can happily co-exist on a system because only one is every running at the one time.

If you decide to get rid of Ubuntu, it is also not difficult. You remove the partitions that the Ubuntu is on and expand the windows partition back into the space, and then you have to restore the MBR so that windows will boot. There are a couple of ways to do that, For instance, I believe this tool will do it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    Michael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast