Thread: Hard crash when playing video on second monitor

Threaded View

Beans

Hard crash when playing video on second monitor

Hi all,

I have attempted to find the solution to my problem by searching the forums, but if I missed the solution somewhere, please direct me to it and I apologize.

Anytime I play a video (a DVD or .avi, VLC or Movie Player, doesn't matter) on my Samsung 46" television (so using the monitor out with a vga connector), the whole system crashes at some seemingly random moment, maybe 10 minutes into the video, and I have to hard reboot. This ONLY happens when using the second monitor, and ONLY when playing a video (using Spotfy on it, or anything, never crashes it). I have my computer set to go on standby after an hour, but no other screensavers or other timed devices on, as far as I know. I have not experimented too much, as my computer hard crashing is not exactly pleasant for me, but it has happened at least 5 times.

I'm running 12.10 on an Asus 1000HA, and I understand that it is an intel graphics card. Everything, as far as update-manager goes, is up-to-date.

Any help is much appreciated.

An unhappy update! It just crashed while I was messing around with resolutions while hooked up to the second monitor. Not a hard crash, btw: able to ctrl+shift+f1 to go to prompt.
    Last edited by vogtandrew; December 30th, 2012 at 03:21 AM.