Thread: Lost partition table

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Lost partition table

Hi,

I have a WD My Book 500GB external hard disk which I have been using for yesrs. Today when I plug it in it didn't power up as usual. I tried several things(including googling) and nothing works. So assuming the power adapter has blown up I removed the chasing and got 500GB SATA hard disk out. Then I plug in directly to the machine using SATA. I have my primary hard disk which is a IDE one(I didn't change any jumper settings). I heard the usual creek sound which I have heard while the hard disk power up before( some relief because at least it is woring). But once ubuntu booted up it didn't show external hards(which now has plugged in internally) partitions. I tried Disk Utility application. And disk is there.

So I'm not sure what is the problem here. Disk utility says disk is healthy. Am I facing a lost of partition table problem? So I must try to recover data or is this something else?

Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lost partition table

For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Lost partition table

thanks oldfred. I'm off from home now(on work). I left the hard disk at home. I'll try your solutions on next Saturday. I'll be back with results.

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Re: Lost partition table

I try to recover the disk but couldn't. After some further digging in I found that WD My Book external disks have a hardware encryption. So because of that without the enclosure it is impossible to read data.

http://carltonbale.com/western-digit...-and-recovery/

So as it seems I have run out of options. Previous post suggest that using a working enclosure it may be possible to read data. But it is not guaranteed different enclosures may use different key's to encrypt data.

As my last option I post on WD support service. I don't know whether they'll attend to my case because warranty period is over.