Thread: Annoying Tooltips on Forums

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Annoying Tooltips on Forums

Does anybody else find this annoying? Whenever I am browsing the forums and looking for one that interests me, there is a constant, large, tooltip popping up that displays the latest post in the particular thread.

I like the ability to view the latest post in each thread, but I have always thought tooltips are one of the most annoying features ever developed. Perhaps there can be an option in our profiles to turn them off?

Or, maybe the latest post can be displayed in a status bar on the bottom of the page when the user hovers their mouse over the thread title?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Annoying Tooltips on Forums

Nothing in the profile that you can turn off I'm afraid.

You can do it in firefox and opera - I'd hazard a guess that the same is possible in other browsers - but I've no idea about those.
    Death was standing behind a lectern, poring over a map. He looked at Mort as if he wasn't entirely there.
    You haven't heard of the Bay of Mante, have you? he said.
    'No, sir,' said Mort.
    'Famous shipwreck there.'
    'Was there?'
    'There will be', said Death, 'if I can find the damn place.'

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

You'll see the tooltip if your mouse cursor is over the middle column where the thread title is. Just make sure the mouse cursor isn't there but to the left or right of this column. Then you shouldn't see the tooltip. (I find the facility quite useful.)
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

You could always not hover over the thread

The only need to hover over them is to view the tooltip.

You can browse the latest threads without hovering over them and you can click on one to view it without hovering for a tooltip.

I only ever see the tooltip when I want to view the latest post without viewing the thread.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post

You can do it in firefox and opera - I'd hazard a guess that the same is possible in other browsers - but I've no idea about those.
    Thank you for this information. I just switched back to Firefox for this sole reason.
    I searched for a long time on how to disable tooltips in Chrome, but apparently, they don't let you do that. I rarely find myself desiring the use of tooltips. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post

Few days away from "necro" but I just found out how to selectively disable the tooltip OP talks about when using Firefox. Elfy (formerly known as forestpiskie) posted a solution that turns off all "chrome" tooltips: toggle "browser.chrome.toolbar_tips" to false in about:config.

To turn off just the tooltip previewing the latest post contents, one can use
    Code:
    #aHTMLTooltip { display: none !important }
    in userChrome.css or in a Stylish sheet.

Note that this hack will prevent all tooltips only on the webpage itself. The tooltips related to the "chrome" of the browser are unaffected. If you don't want to see any tooltips at all then the "about:config" does that.
    Last edited by vasa1; December 26th, 2013 at 03:42 AM.