Thread: Dell mini 10v screen black problem. Driver issue?

Beans

Dell mini 10v screen black problem. Driver issue?

I recently replaced a broken LCD on my Inspiron Dell mini 10v. The new lcd is only black, but the brightness changes when I adjust the slider. (I got to the settings using external monitor.) Could this be a driver problem? Is it a hardware problem? Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm using ubuntu 12.04. I'm a noob to ubuntu, but I am moderately computer literate. Thanks to all who help.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Dell mini 10v screen black problem. Driver issue?

this isn't goin to help ya but seein no one replied yet. I will say I have had this same exact laptop and used it with ubuntu 10.04 I don't own it anymore so couldn't tell you if it is a 12.04 problem or not. but to assure you this laptop work great out of the box with 10.04/11 all but the wifi worked. i had to get it to work and it was a pain. hopefully now with the new 12.04 you won't have this issue either. the video worked only decent overall but i was able to see more than a black screen for sure.
    with this in mind I am thinkin it may be partially a problem with the screen being installed physically if you can't find anything related to it over google about 12.04. just go ahead and download 2 or 3 other .iso's, use unetbootin and boot them from a usb flash drive to see if it could be any driver issue at all. if you don't know how to do this i can help ya. not sure if ubuntu already came installed to you or on cd or what. better to know this than nothin.
    Not wasting my time with any more good signatures. Even asterisk are vulgar

Beans

Thanks slixz85. I did install 12.04 with a usb, and I did have a Broadcom STA wireless driver problem. I will try installing xp from a usb to find out if it is an OS problem. Thanks for the advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by FlindoJimbori View Post
    I recently replaced a broken LCD on my Inspiron Dell mini 10v.
    Did the old screen work with Ubuntu? Have you changed the OS since the screen?

If memory serves me correctly, the graphics card for the 10v was problematic in Ubuntu.

However, changing the screen does not change that - the screen doesn't have a "driver" - only the graphics card. If the resolution of the screen is different, that may have an impact, but unlikely to make it remain black.
    Last edited by ugm6hr; December 17th, 2012 at 08:10 AM.

Beans

The new LCD came from a Dell Mini 1018. I didn't think that it would be a problem though because they are the exact same size and the port was the same. Anybody with hardware experience: aren't the screens the same because they are the same size and use the same port? or is there another factor that is causing the problem... I don't think it is an OS problem because it doesn't work in XP either.
    I know I'm a noob and thanks for the continued help everybody.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by FlindoJimbori View Post
    The new LCD came from a Dell Mini 1018. I didn't think that it would be a problem though because they are the exact same size and the port was the same. Anybody with hardware experience: aren't the screens the same because they are the same size and use the same port? or is there another factor that is causing the problem... I don't think it is an OS problem because it doesn't work in XP either.
    I know I'm a noob and thanks for the continued help everybody.
    hey again. i did a quick search of google for you (i am not actually experienced in repairing laptops at all but i noticed it could be possibly an inverter. below is a paragraph from a website i pulled:

1. this site gives step by step to replacing a laptop screen
    http://computershopper.com/laptops/h...-laptop-screen

-"If your display problems aren't the result of visible physical damage, however, the problem may not be the LCD. If your screen's backlight flickers, shuts down after a few minutes of usage, or doesn't come on at all, but you can still see a faint screen image, your problem may be the inverter, a small board that supplies power to the backlight. The good news is that these boards are available for well under $100. (We'll show you how to locate and replace the inverter.) If replacing the inverter doesn't solve the problem, the backlight itself may be faulty. If that's the case, replacing the LCD should fix your problem."

2. and I pulled this from another website that someone suggested to a question:

Question: "I have a laptop with a busted screen, so I am going to install a replacement. Does the replacement screen have to be the same resolution as the original?"

Answer: It can be a different resolution as long as the laptop supports the display panel you are replacing the original display with.
    For example a Dell Latitude D630 supports two displays, WXGA+ and WXGA. You should be able to swap up or down, but be sure that you get an inverter with the new display.

p.s.
    I would just read up on that website and a couple others cause if your screen is black then this could be your problem. i just don't know your whole story of the damage and such plus the above guy said to get a new inverter with new display so this is probably your issue, just check into it a bit more.

and i didn't read up on this website at all just givin ya another quick resource for replacin the screen http://defectivekit.com/2007/02/20/h...ur-laptop-lcd/

there you go hopefully this helps a bit. I learned about inverters myself.
    Not wasting my time with any more good signatures. Even asterisk are vulgar

Beans

thanks again. I havent been online in awhile. Ill try tjese tips. Thanks everybody!