Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: partition mount point name change

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    partition mount point name change

    I got an error message when I tried to backup a file to an external hard drive. I noticed that the mount point now has 2 identical names, with one having a trailing underscore. When I looked at the properties of the original one (without the underscore)
    Code:
    Contents: unreadable
    . I can successfully backup to the one having an underscore.

    Can I safely delete the original? Is this the product of some kind of recovery?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: partition mount point name change

    Quote Originally Posted by unibroker View Post
    I got an error message when I tried to backup a file to an external hard drive. I noticed that the mount point now has 2 identical names, with one having a trailing underscore. When I looked at the properties of the original one (without the underscore)
    Code:
    Contents: unreadable
    . I can successfully backup to the one having an underscore.

    Can I safely delete the original? Is this the product of some kind of recovery?
    These 2 mount points are not the same. The underscore makes them different! How did you mount the external drive? If the mount point was created automatically, then I would just leave it for now. The system should delete it. I would be more interested in how it got created in the first place. Do you have 2 drives that have the same label name?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: partition mount point name change

    Quote Originally Posted by redmk2 View Post
    These 2 mount points are not the same. The underscore makes them different! How did you mount the external drive? If the mount point was created automatically, then I would just leave it for now. The system should delete it. I would be more interested in how it got created in the first place. Do you have 2 drives that have the same label name?
    One ext. drive, two partitions (1 for WinXp, 1 for Ubuntu). Each partition has the original name and the underscore as shown in nautilus. Gparted only shows the underscore one which is the one mounted. The drive is rarely disconnected from the system so I assume it is automatically mounted/unmounted on each daily startup/shutdown.

    My research this morning points toward a bug as far back as the Hardy release.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: partition mount point name change

    If it is a removeable drive it may be getting mounted twice, the second is the underscore.

    Are you mounting with fstab?
    Possible work around. But I think this was for permanent drives mounted to /home or /media.
    not sure if it's related to this or not, but the work around there was to replace UUID=xxxx with
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxx


    But it may then just be better to use labels on partitions on your external drive and let the system auto mount via the labels? Only if you do not want default settings may it make sense to mount in fstab.

    I also used to have two entries for some of my partitions, but changed to mount in /mnt so they do not show in Nautilus at all. I think link folders into /home so I have easy access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: partition mount point name change

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If it is a removeable drive it may be getting mounted twice, the second is the underscore.

    Are you mounting with fstab?
    Possible work around. But I think this was for permanent drives mounted to /home or /media.
    not sure if it's related to this or not, but the work around there was to replace UUID=xxxx with
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxx


    But it may then just be better to use labels on partitions on your external drive and let the system auto mount via the labels? Only if you do not want default settings may it make sense to mount in fstab.

    I also used to have two entries for some of my partitions, but changed to mount in /mnt so they do not show in Nautilus at all. I think link folders into /home so I have easy access.
    Attached are 2 gparted screenshots containing an information window for each subject underscored partition. Maybe this will be useful instead of my feeble explanation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: partition mount point name change

    Do you have anything is fstab or is this just the standard mount. It seems to be just using the UUID. I much prefer to add labels to every partition. It is easier to type and understand. I usually try to remember to add labels with gparted when formatting a new partition, but often forget and then use Disk Utility as that works well for labels. You also can use command line.

    Set Labels for external devices gparted, Disk Utility or command line
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive


    ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list


    Code:
    fred@fred-Precise:~$ sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list
    device     fs_type label    mount point    UUID
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    /dev/sda1  ntfs    WinXP    (not mounted)  04B05B70B05B6768
    /dev/sda2  ext3    backup   (not mounted)  13a684e4-2849-4566-9528-21cd07028a9a
    /dev/sda4  vfat    SHARE    (not mounted)  46CD-C9B2
    /dev/sdc2  ext4    Maverick (not mounted)  0eea4e95-ea0a-4745-80d4-57bf2bbc9d69
    /dev/sdc3  swap             (not mounted)  00c4e383-cf30-4b54-9a9f-d46953e3966e
    /dev/sdc4  ext4    MavData  (not mounted)  431ba9e5-c72c-41c2-ba82-d8ee052336ff
    /dev/sdd1  ext3    grub     (not mounted)  9e16ad9c-c5f8-4b5a-b2b3-20dfc71a422f
    /dev/sdd2  ntfs    Shared   /mnt/shared    44332FD360AA9657
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: partition mount point name change

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Do you have anything is fstab or is this just the standard mount. It seems to be just using the UUID. I much prefer to add labels to every partition. It is easier to type and understand. I usually try to remember to add labels with gparted when formatting a new partition, but often forget and then use Disk Utility as that works well for labels. You also can use command line.

    Set Labels for external devices gparted, Disk Utility or command line
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive


    ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list


    Code:
    fred@fred-Precise:~$ sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list
    device     fs_type label    mount point    UUID
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    /dev/sda1  ntfs    WinXP    (not mounted)  04B05B70B05B6768
    /dev/sda2  ext3    backup   (not mounted)  13a684e4-2849-4566-9528-21cd07028a9a
    /dev/sda4  vfat    SHARE    (not mounted)  46CD-C9B2
    /dev/sdc2  ext4    Maverick (not mounted)  0eea4e95-ea0a-4745-80d4-57bf2bbc9d69
    /dev/sdc3  swap             (not mounted)  00c4e383-cf30-4b54-9a9f-d46953e3966e
    /dev/sdc4  ext4    MavData  (not mounted)  431ba9e5-c72c-41c2-ba82-d8ee052336ff
    /dev/sdd1  ext3    grub     (not mounted)  9e16ad9c-c5f8-4b5a-b2b3-20dfc71a422f
    /dev/sdd2  ntfs    Shared   /mnt/shared    44332FD360AA9657
    Terminal output had too much whitespace that I couldn't figure out how to get rid of so I've attached text file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by unibroker; December 11th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: partition mount point name change

    Quote Originally Posted by unibroker View Post
    Terminal output had too much whitespace that I couldn't figure out how to get rid of so I tried to upload as a text file but got an error. Suggestions?
    What's the error? How did you create the text file?

    To create a file I would do this
    Code:
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list > blkid.txt
    You then should be able to upload the file blkid.txt from you home directory.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Beans
    5,926
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: partition mount point name change

    i've had this happen to me with an external fat32 usb drive. not sure why it happens but when I notice it upon a computer restart, i'll unmount the one with the underscore and unplug it (usb plug or turn the power off), check the contents of the folder without the underscore, it's always empty, then i'll delete that folder, then i'll just either plug it back in or flip the power switch and it gets mounted to a automatically created folder without the underscore.

    I dont know why it happens but it does randomly
    Check out my Blog about my life and computer software and hardware. http://ubuntuaddicted.blogspot.com/
    My YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: partition mount point name change

    Quote Originally Posted by redmk2 View Post
    What's the error? How did you create the text file?

    To create a file I would do this
    Code:
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list > blkid.txt
    You then should be able to upload the file blkid.txt from you home directory.
    I'm actually not completely comfortable with my terminal skills so I mix resources. I copy the terminal output, paste/save it in a text editor. I get the error from this forum when I try to upload the attachment. Maybe it's because I didn't append txt to the filename.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •