It is very strange. I put in a DVD in my xbox and it plays as 5.1 and the receiver recognizes it instantly as dolby digital, however after installing the dvdrom in my myth box, that same dvd shows up as stereo or Multi In.

With the terminal speaker test for the 8 channels, all (5.1 worked) the extra two played in their respective speakers unless I used -c 6. It looks (at least to me) that the computer can do 5.1 however during the test it said "Multi In".

The ELD filename output IIRC was after the update and reboot. There is no other Eld file listed at this point.

I did starting mythfrontend with verbose logging however I wasn't sure about the "-v audio" part. I have a few lines where it said "echo 384 | sudo tee /proc/asound/card0/pcm3p/sub0/prealloc" which I did with no change. One line said to echo in 3008 but again, nothing different happened.

Should I just be getting an inexpensive Nvidia card at this point? Should I get one with HDMI on the back or since my mobo has HDMI, would I be using that port? Since it's only video output (I assume) and I do not have an optical port how would I get sound? Sorry for the turn in the thread. I just don't get what is going on with the current situation, especially when a DVD doesn't even play directly from the DVDrom