Thread: webcam freezes in all applications

Beans

Unhappy webcam freezes in all applications

Webcam freezes after 30 seconds in all webcam using applications (Skype, guvcview, cheese, browser video chats, etc.). Can be restarted in Skype but freezes again with increasing frequency. Running from the terminal or doing "dmesg" shows the error: "Failed to resubmit video URB (-27)." Recently also had the "Could not grab image ... resource temporarily unavailable" error in guvcview.

This problem has persisted despite upgrades, (currently using 12.04, have tried every version since 10.04) different flavors of ubuntu (currently using lubuntu, but tried xubuntu and regular ubuntu with and without unity), and with different webcams (current logitech C270 webcam is listed on the UVC page as compatible, other webcams were supposed to be compatible with UVC as well).

My computer is a Dell Inspiron B130 with 1.8 GHz processor and 512mb RAM.

Thanks for your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: webcam freezes in all applications

Although I don't have any data to present, this is basically what keeps happening to me. I get about 15-30 seconds of video then the image freezes until the application is terminated, but the same thing happens almost immediately in the same or any other application afterwards. Only a reboot gives me the short amount of viable time again... Something isn't right here...
    HP Pavilion dv6, Core i3-3110M, 6GB RAM, nVIDIA Geforce GT 650M, 640GB HDD: Win7 / Xubuntu 13.10 64bit