Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Network settings with an unplugged cable (12.04)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    4

    Network settings with an unplugged cable (12.04)

    Hi all, I use Ubuntu on Live CD and I've noticed that I cannot configure the network settings when the cable is unplugged on 12.04. That was not the case on 10.x, I don't recall 11.x. With 10.04 for example, I could see the network settings, switch from dhcp to manual and so on, without the need to plug in the ethernet cable. This seems not possible on 12.04. Network window says 'Cable unplugged' and the Options button is grayed out. Can't I see or configure network settings without a cable plugged in to the newtork socket? Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In my skin.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Network settings with an unplugged cable (12.04)

    Wouldn't the settings be lost on the next reboot anyhow as you are running 'Try Ubuntu' from a CD??? Where would the settings be stored, exactly? A LiveCD is locked and no more data can be added (so installing drivers, etc, would be impossible).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    4

    Re: Network settings with an unplugged cable (12.04)

    Bucky Ball, thanks for the reply. The settings wouldn't be stored anywhere, and they would be lost indeed at the next reboot. I'm fine with that, thanks. All I wanted to know was if something has changed regarding network configuration policy from one version to another, or was it my fault not being able to open the network setings window.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    4

    Re: Network settings with an unplugged cable (12.04)

    First and the final bump. Regardless of if that makes sense or not, or where would I store the settings, or why should I need such a thing, on Ubuntu version 12.04:

    Can I see and configure the network settings without conencting it to a network?

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    187
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Network settings with an unplugged cable (12.04)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Wouldn't the settings be lost on the next reboot anyhow as you are running 'Try Ubuntu' from a CD??? Where would the settings be stored, exactly? A LiveCD is locked and no more data can be added (so installing drivers, etc, would be impossible).
    Well, I don't know... a Live CD wouldn't be very useful if you couldn't do some configuration so the system would actually work while you're testing it. For example, if I boot my Dell Inspiron 1720 from my bootable USB copy of 12.04 then I have to open "Additional Drivers" and activate the Broadcom wireless adapter driver so I can connect to the Internet. That makes some changes to the configuration, but they are only in effect for that session (i.e., they are not persistent).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    187
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Network settings with an unplugged cable (12.04)

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny bee View Post
    First and the final bump. Regardless of if that makes sense or not, or where would I store the settings, or why should I need such a thing, on Ubuntu version 12.04:

    Can I see and configure the network settings without conencting it to a network?

    Thanks
    It seems to depend on the path you take. I'm running from a bootable USB of 12.04, and if I choose

    System Settings > Network > Wired

    then the status says "Cable unplugged" and the "Options..." button is disabled.

    However, if I click the network icon on the right side of the desktop status bar and choose "Edit Connections..." then I *can* edit the settings of "Wired connection 1" even though it is not active.
    Last edited by GordThompson; December 15th, 2012 at 02:34 AM. Reason: location of "[desktop] status bar"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    4

    Re: Network settings with an unplugged cable (12.04)

    Thanks a lot GordThompson. I tried the first path first, and trying to open the network settings from the icon wouldn't cross my mind at all once the first path didn't work. I'm marking this solved.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Beans
    187
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Network settings with an unplugged cable (12.04)

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny bee View Post
    Thanks a lot GordThompson. I tried the first path first, and trying to open the network settings from the icon wouldn't cross my mind at all once the first path didn't work. I'm marking this solved.
    Good to hear! Thanks for the update.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •