Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Getting Chromium OS to work on Dell Inspiron 1545

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Maryland, United States
    Beans
    65
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Getting Chromium OS to work on Dell Inspiron 1545

    I used the following post, http://nickfarmer.me/chromium-on-the...inspiron-1545/ , to get Chromium OS to work on my Dell laptop but it's an old build. I'd like to use the Chromium Vanilla builds that are a lot newer but know I will run into driver issues (I've tried). I have those driver problems resolved in Ubuntu and was wondering what I could do in Chromium OS. I would really like to be on the latest version of the OS because I'm really considering getting a Chromebook and want to try it out before making that decision. Thanks for the help, guys.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Huntsville,Alabama USA
    Beans
    94
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Getting Chromium OS to work on Dell Inspiron 1545

    Quote Originally Posted by meijin3 View Post
    I used the following post, http://nickfarmer.me/chromium-on-the...inspiron-1545/ , to get Chromium OS to work on my Dell laptop but it's an old build. I'd like to use the Chromium Vanilla builds that are a lot newer but know I will run into driver issues (I've tried). I have those driver problems resolved in Ubuntu and was wondering what I could do in Chromium OS. I would really like to be on the latest version of the OS because I'm really considering getting a Chromebook and want to try it out before making that decision. Thanks for the help, guys.
    you could try http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/index.php or lime builds for better driver support http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/lime.php but it is on hold last build is from July 8th

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Maryland, United States
    Beans
    65
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Getting Chromium OS to work on Dell Inspiron 1545

    Quote Originally Posted by cpatrick08 View Post
    you could try http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/index.php or lime builds for better driver support http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/lime.php but it is on hold last build is from July 8th
    Yeah, I did try them but no luck. What does one normally do in this situation on a Vanilla build if Wi Fi isn't working on first boot?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Maryland, United States
    Beans
    65
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Getting Chromium OS to work on Dell Inspiron 1545

    Quote Originally Posted by meliscarop View Post
    Yeah, I did try them but no luck. [img]<snip>[/img]
    I'm sorry but I did not get what you were trying to show me.
    Last edited by coffeecat; October 29th, 2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Removed hidden link from quote of now removed spam post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Maryland, United States
    Beans
    65
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Getting Chromium OS to work on Dell Inspiron 1545

    If I take "/etc/install_wl.sh/" from the Dell build and put it into the Vanilla build and follow the instructions, will this help?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    862

    Re: Getting Chromium OS to work on Dell Inspiron 1545

    From what I understand, the Hexxeh builds are gearing more to purely for dev use in testing on the proper Chromebook hardware and so most drivers and such are being stripped out altogether so it will likely be more and more difficult to get running on other hardware.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Beans
    1

    Re: Getting Chromium OS to work on Dell Inspiron 1545

    Quote Originally Posted by meijin3 View Post
    Yeah, I did try them but no luck. What does one normally do in this situation on a Vanilla build if Wi Fi isn't working on first boot?
    What I did was use a cpheap, external USB WiFi Adapter, works great if you don't mind
    the usb cable hanging off your usb port

    Dom Cizek

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Maryland, United States
    Beans
    65
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Getting Chromium OS to work on Dell Inspiron 1545

    Quote Originally Posted by DomCizek View Post
    What I did was use a cpheap, external USB WiFi Adapter, works great if you don't mind
    the usb cable hanging off your usb port

    Dom Cizek
    Great idea, I have considered this myself. I found this to be even better http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/h...meos-in-ubuntu

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Beans
    1

    Re: Getting Chromium OS to work on Dell Inspiron 1545

    Quote Originally Posted by meijin3 View Post
    I used the following post, http://nickfarmer.me/chromium-on-the...inspiron-1545/ , to get Chromium OS to work on my Dell laptop but it's an old build. I'd like to use the Chromium Vanilla builds that are a lot newer but know I will run into driver issues (I've tried). I have those driver problems resolved in Ubuntu and was wondering what I could do in Chromium OS. I would really like to be on the latest version of the OS because I'm really considering getting a Chromebook and want to try it out before making that decision. Thanks for the help, guys.
    Dell release new version 10 April 2013, link: http://linux.dell.com/files/cto/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •