Thread: Virus on Ubuntu?

Beans

Virus on Ubuntu?

I have a dual-booted Lenovo laptop with Ubuntu Linux and Windows. Most of the time, I use Linux.

Just today, I tried to ssh into a known server and it disconnected. ssh seemed to work for all other servers. This may be a separate problem, though. To try to fix it, I decided to restart my computer. When the login screen was loaded, I tried typing my password, but the keyboard was not working. My wireless mouse was, however, so I used the on-screen keyboard to log in.

I opened the terminal and it seemed like the enter key was being held down (the terminal prompt kept repeating).

I opened Google Chrome, and I couldn't click on anything within the browser. The normal google.com homepage didn't show up either.

I close chrome and all of a sudden a few windows open. A prompt shows up saying that it needs a password to remove programs, and the "Authenticate" button was being repeatedly pressed. All of this happened without me touching the mouse or keyboard.

I tried to shut the computer down with the normal menu, but it closed instantly after repeatedly trying to open it. At this point, I just decided to force a shut down by holding the power button.

I know viruses are rare on Linux, but could this be one?
    How would I go about getting rid of this virus?

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Virus on Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter1 View Post
    I have a dual-booted Lenovo laptop with Ubuntu Linux and Windows. Most of the time, I use Linux.

Just today, I tried to ssh into a known server and it disconnected. ssh seemed to work for all other servers. This may be a separate problem, though. To try to fix it, I decided to restart my computer. When the login screen was loaded, I tried typing my password, but the keyboard was not working. My wireless mouse was, however, so I used the on-screen keyboard to log in.

I opened the terminal and it seemed like the enter key was being held down (the terminal prompt kept repeating).

I opened Google Chrome, and I couldn't click on anything within the browser. The normal google.com homepage didn't show up either.

I close chrome and all of a sudden a few windows open. A prompt shows up saying that it needs a password to remove programs, and the "Authenticate" button was being repeatedly pressed. All of this happened without me touching the mouse or keyboard.

I tried to shut the computer down with the normal menu, but it closed instantly after repeatedly trying to open it. At this point, I just decided to force a shut down by holding the power button.

Thanks!

This is a very peculiar problem, but it can be fixed!

I recommend downloading Trinity Rescue Kit.

http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.ph...g=en&locale=en

It's a live boot so you'll need to copy it to a disc, or a USB

It has 5 different virus scans' and removals. As well as every repair tool you'll ever need! You can scan either partitions for virus' your windows as well as Linux

Good luck and please report back with your findings
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter1 View Post

Thanks!
    I'd say it seems your keyboard was playing up in this particular instance. Without logging in, is the issue at the login screen persistent?

Beans

I'd say a busted keyboard is a much more likely explanation than a virus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibuclaw View Post
    I'd say it seems your keyboard was playing up in this particular instance. Without logging in, is the issue at the login screen persistent?
    Well, it seems like you were right. I didn't want to restart my computer just in case, but I ended up doing it just to see what would happen. It seems like everything's working fine now...

If anything happens, I'll post back to this thread.

Beans

Something similar happens to me sometimes. I'll be typing something and one of the buttons I press acts like it has rapid fire enabled. Pressing the offending button again fixes the issue.