Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Ressurecting an OS

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Beans
    6

    Ressurecting an OS

    I have a windows 7 HDD/OS that I've been working on repairing from a BSOD. I have fixed the bad sectors and made the file system recognizable with testdisk. The HDD was previously unmountable and the windows 7 OS, instead of being listed as OS, was listed as "Unknown" which test disk has also fixed. Now, how do I format the other partitions so that it boots properly into the fixed windows 7 OS partition?

    Here is what I'm looking at








    and here is the only HDD (with a working OS) I have for comparison.







    Note that it is linux, so it may be different from how windows 7 partitions are set up.

    I believe the original partitions were overwritten for recovery purposes. How should I format "Dell Utility and "RECOVERY" so that my windows 7 boots properly?

    I know it's possible to do this. Please refrain from suggesting "Forget it. Just recover data, wipe, and reinstall OS". That's lazy.

    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Sirius3; December 6th, 2012 at 05:49 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    156
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: from wholesale nike nfl jerseys cheap! The best quality

    That's spam (Never seen it here though haha).

    As for your question, I think you must be using GRUB as your bootloader to load both windows 7 and Ubuntu linux. What happens when you boot up your computer? Does it just go straight to Ubuntu?
    Last edited by lildigiman; December 6th, 2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Typo
    1: Win 7 - 2500k - 660ti - 8GB DDR3
    2: Xubuntu - 3570 - 650ti (2GB) - 12GB DDR3
    3: Win 8.1 - Q6600 - 9800 GTX+ - 8GB DDR2
    4: Arch - E7500 - 8800 GT - 6GB DDR2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Beans
    6

    Re: from wholesale nike nfl jerseys cheap! The best quality

    Quote Originally Posted by lildigiman View Post
    That's spam (Never seen it here though haha).

    As for your question, I think you must be using GRUB as your bootloader to load both windows 7 and Ubuntu linux. What happens when you boot up your computer? Does it just go straight to Ubuntu?
    How do I set grub as my bootloader?

    When I start up my computer if I set it to boot from the External USB HDD it would go straight to unbuntu (that's where Unbuntu's OS is located). The Internal HDDs are windows 7. One disk is the OS and the other is a non OS memory disk. I think I set the wrong partition as bootable (using Unbuntu's "disks" program), so it skips my system drive and goes straight to non system drive. The non system drive just brings up a blank window with blinking hyphen in the corner (I think that's normal for non system drives though.)

    I'm trying to figure out how to format the partitions on my window OS drive, and which ones should be set as bootable. How are working windows 7 HDDs partitioned and which partitions are flagged as bootable? If I know this than I believe my windows 7 OS will boot properly again.
    Last edited by Sirius3; December 6th, 2012 at 06:25 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Ressurecting an OS

    If you can boot Ubuntu just install this, or download a full repair CD and use that. Run just the BootInfo report and post link it gives you.

    Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.
    Install in Ubuntu liveCD or USB or Full RepairCD with Boot-Repair (for newer computers)
    http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuSecureRemix
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.







  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    156
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Ressurecting an OS

    oldfred beat me to it.

    If you're familiar with GParted, it may be as simple as setting your Windows 7 partition with the Bootable Flag. Google can be your friend here.

    I should also mention that your choice of words is not the best: 'Formatting' your drive will delete everything on that drive!

    Hopefully those BootRepair CD's that oldfred posted will be what you need to solve your problem.
    1: Win 7 - 2500k - 660ti - 8GB DDR3
    2: Xubuntu - 3570 - 650ti (2GB) - 12GB DDR3
    3: Win 8.1 - Q6600 - 9800 GTX+ - 8GB DDR2
    4: Arch - E7500 - 8800 GT - 6GB DDR2

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Beans
    6

    Re: Ressurecting an OS

    Here is a simple way to answer my question...

    Will anyone with a working (and bootable) windows 7 HDD, use Unbuntu's app "Disks" to highlight it, take a screenshot, and upload it here like I have done here with my disks? It would be very much appreciated.

    Thank you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Beans
    6

    Re: Ressurecting an OS

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If you can boot Ubuntu just install this, or download a full repair CD and use that. Run just the BootInfo report and post link it gives you.

    Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.
    Install in Ubuntu liveCD or USB or Full RepairCD with Boot-Repair (for newer computers)
    http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuSecureRemix
    But those tools are for Unbuntu though right? It's not the Unbuntu OS that is having the problem.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    156
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Ressurecting an OS

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius3 View Post
    Here is a simple way to answer my question...

    Will anyone with a working (and bootable) windows 7 HDD, use Unbuntu's app "Disks" to highlight it, take a screenshot, and upload it here like I have done here with my disks? It would be very much appreciated.

    Thank you.
    Unfortunately a screenshot of Disks isn't going to show you how your computer should boot up, simply put.
    1: Win 7 - 2500k - 660ti - 8GB DDR3
    2: Xubuntu - 3570 - 650ti (2GB) - 12GB DDR3
    3: Win 8.1 - Q6600 - 9800 GTX+ - 8GB DDR2
    4: Arch - E7500 - 8800 GT - 6GB DDR2

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Beans
    6

    Re: Ressurecting an OS

    Quote Originally Posted by lildigiman View Post
    Unfortunately a screenshot of Disks isn't going to show you how your computer should boot up, simply put.
    So restoring everything is a strictly rigid process and not flexible to alternative methods? I have all my data backed up. I'm not afraid of messing it up. I just want to try it my way. If it doesn't work then I will reformat, reinstall the OS, and start over.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    156
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Ressurecting an OS

    Okay, that's good that you've backed things up. I used to have Windows 7 and Ubuntu installed on separate hard drives with a dual boot. The GRUB bootloader is what instructs the computer which drive to boot off of. Disk formatting inside of Disks can only manipulate the disks formatting and partition sizes.

    A windows 7 installation disk has the ability to repair the master boot record if it has been corrupted or overwritten by grub
    1: Win 7 - 2500k - 660ti - 8GB DDR3
    2: Xubuntu - 3570 - 650ti (2GB) - 12GB DDR3
    3: Win 8.1 - Q6600 - 9800 GTX+ - 8GB DDR2
    4: Arch - E7500 - 8800 GT - 6GB DDR2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •