Thread: Udev rules to change USB vendor and product ID

Beans

Udev rules to change USB vendor and product ID

I have a USB device which is unsupported in linux. However, another similar device has a driver that would work with my device.

Can i use Udev rules to "spoof" the vendor and product ID of the device so that the driver would recognise it? What would be the rule that i need to add?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Udev rules to change USB vendor and product ID

First of all, Welcome to the forums soccnut !

Quote Originally Posted by soccnut View Post
    I have a USB device which is unsupported in linux. However, another similar device has a driver that would work with my device.

Can i use Udev rules to "spoof" the vendor and product ID of the device so that the driver would recognise it? What would be the rule that i need to add?

Thanks
    What kind of device it is ? If it is a USB modem, see if this post can help you - http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=11

I'd appreciate if you post back the details of the device, including lsusb output, and how it went. Of course if you need detailed help, post back the details of the problem along with output of lsusb, and hopefully, we may help finding the solution.

Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

Thanks for the help. I found the required driver online and installed it without any problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by soccnut View Post
    Thanks for the help. I found the required driver online and installed it without any problems
    Glad you got it solved.

It would be a great help for us all if you could tell us about the device type (modem or what..) and the link for the driver.

Also, please mark the thread as [Solved] now that it is (using Thread Tools at the top-right corner of the first post above). It helps both who are looking for help, and also those who are willing to help.

Thanks!
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.