Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FCC Allows Cablecos to Eliminate Clear QAM.......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

FCC Allows Cablecos to Eliminate Clear QAM.......

Just a heads up.........
    The end of Clear QAM is here.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...AM/m-p/1441139
    Your first step, learn the command line man intro man man man bash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: FCC Allows Cablecos to Eliminate Clear QAM.......

I was reading this and thought what about the "Must Carry" ( IE: retransmitted OTA ) channels in other words the FCC mandate that cable operators offer local stations in Clear QAM would that still be in play?

Quote Originally Posted by nativehound View Post
    Just a heads up.........
    The end of Clear QAM is here.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...AM/m-p/1441139

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jaakan View Post
    I was reading this and thought what about the "Must Carry" ( IE: retransmitted OTA ) channels in other words the FCC mandate that cable operators offer local stations in Clear QAM would that still be in play?
    No, I believe you are well and truly screwed.

Of course OTA is still an option AFAIK.

Beans

Given how bad reception is for most areas with OTA ATSC, I am not sure how long it will last. Where I live, even the local cable company can't reliably receive the 'local' stations with a clear signal...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    No, I believe you are well and truly screwed.

Of course OTA is still an option AFAIK.
    To me the issue is copy protection, not encryption.

The real PITA are the CCI flags that deny copy-freely on the digital non-local stations that I now get freely as analog with the PVR-150. One day, Cox will kill the analog entirely.

My days on MythTV may be drawing to a close. MythTV is not able to record much digital over cable because of copy protection.

I have an HDHomerun CableCard box and all I can record is locals. I would not mind the $2USD/mo CC rental to get non-local digital. I get good OTA and therefore am unable to see any advantage in the CC rental.

Those non-local lineups are protected in digital and I cannot record unless I use windows media center to satisfy the copy protection overlords.

HTH;
    John

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 4partee View Post
    To me the issue is copy protection, not encryption.

The real PITA are the CCI flags that deny copy-freely on the digital non-local stations that I now get freely as analog with the PVR-150. One day, Cox will kill the analog entirely.

My days on MythTV may be drawing to a close. MythTV is not able to record much digital over cable because of copy protection.

I have an HDHomerun CableCard box and all I can record is locals. I would not mind the $2USD/mo CC rental to get non-local digital. I get good OTA and therefore am unable to see any advantage in the CC rental.

Those non-local lineups are protected in digital and I cannot record unless I use windows media center to satisfy the copy protection overlords.

HTH;
    John
    MOst people seem to think MCE isn't a patch on mythTV. You can still use myth with an HDPVR and a STB.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    MOst people seem to think MCE isn't a patch on mythTV. You can still use myth with an HDPVR and a STB.
    Yes, for one channel. And never mind what the 1996 Telecommunications Act says and how they are treating customers like pirates!

A couple months ago we bought two HDHR Prime boxes for the so called digital upgrade. Prior to buying them I contacted the local cable monopoly multiple times about what the CCI settings, or any restrictions and I was assured that everything would work fine. Then I spent more than 3 months trying to get them to fix it, only to be told they won't and now we have to pay for 25 channels we can't watch just because they won't change the CCI flags.

Beans

This is just a question of interest....

Do you have a smartcard or do you need a STB from your provider?

I am from Germany, and the MAG guys solved the problem of non-working CI-Slots under Linux by using an external card reader for PayTV Smartcards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Rotak View Post
    This is just a question of interest....

Do you have a smartcard or do you need a STB from your provider?

I am from Germany, and the MAG guys solved the problem of non-working CI-Slots under Linux by using an external card reader for PayTV Smartcards.
    Rotak;
    Who is the 'you' in your post? You actually need to give some idea to whom you are writing your questions!

I do not have an STB. I have a HDHR3-CC external 3-tuner device that takes a coax cable service input and decrypts the programs with a CableCard which is rented from the cable company for $2/mo. The programs are then put on the LAN where they are viewed/recorded by MythTV software.

MythTV is not approved by the copy protection overlords and will only record analog, or digital copy-freely flagged programs.

What is a CI-slot?

What is a smartcard?

nickrout;

What is MCE?

I'm NOT renting an STB so I can record ONE channel into a separate MythTV system.

John

Beans

MCE = windows media centre edition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast