Thread: back-up and restore compiz settings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

back-up and restore compiz settings

Dear all,

to back-up and eventually restore compiz settings, is it enough to back-up and restore the .compiz directory in $HOME?

Reason is that the setting in my classic gnome set-up are different and partially conflict with the unity settings. Since I want to be able to run both environment (to give Unity a chance) I'd like to be able to switch settings easily.

Thanks and cheers,

Riko

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: back-up and restore compiz settings

Quote Originally Posted by RikoW View Post
    to back-up and eventually restore compiz settings, is it enough to back-up and restore the .compiz directory in $HOME?
    I've never tried this myself, but apparently it's even easier than that. You can do it from within compizconfig-settings-manager. Have a look here:

http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com...ty-ubuntu.html

That page is for getting the desktop cube working in Unity, but it describes how to backup compiz settings near the beginning.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

also `compiz fusion icon' is a good utility.
    It works fine in ubuntu 11.04 / peppermint on my system.

http://wiki.compiz.org/CompizFusionIcon
    Last edited by Duncan Williams; July 1st, 2011 at 12:20 PM.
    * Peppermint 2 * AMD Sempron 2600+ * 1 gig ddr-400 ram * nvidia geforce 6200-512mb agp 8x *
    * AOC 24" @ 1920by1200 * 3G mobile broadband * browsers: chromium / opera *

`Yes that's my dog, his name is mups'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the tips. That seems to work in principle (so far only checked ccsm, even though my unity set-up is still bombed and I diid manage to reset it properly).

But I actually was looking for a way that would also work from a terminal and tty in case I don't get a running desktop anymore.

It seems like .compiz does not do the trick since there are plenty of setting in .gconf/apps as well ..

Cheers,
    Riko

Beans

Wink Re: back-up and restore compiz settings

Quote Originally Posted by RikoW View Post
    Thanks for the tips. That seems to work in principle (so far only checked ccsm, even though my unity set-up is still bombed and I diid manage to reset it properly).

But I actually was looking for a way that would also work from a terminal and tty in case I don't get a running desktop anymore.

It seems like .compiz does not do the trick since there are plenty of setting in .gconf/apps as well ..

Cheers,
    Riko
    your are a star, restoring .compiz-1 and .gconf worked for me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In LMDE (hopefully similar to Ubuntu, my apologies if not) I found the file "~/.config/compiz/compizconfig/Default.ini", which appears to hold the majority of my custom Compiz configurations. Incidentally, "~/.gconf/apps/compiz/plugins/" contains dirs "ring" and "switcher", both of which contain subdirs "allscreens/options/" each with it's own "%gconf.xml" file, one holding my custom keybinding for next window, the other holding my custom keybinding for previous window.
    Hope this helps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

This thread is over a year old. Please create a new thread and reference this thread if required.
    Closing.