Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Ubuntu Tar Backup Script, Not Excuding a Folder

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waterford, MI
    Beans
    1,041
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Ubuntu Tar Backup Script, Not Excuding a Folder

    I am trying to create a tar backup script. I used the following article as my baseline:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem/TAR

    And this is what I ended up creating:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # init
    
    DATE=$(date +20%y%m%d)
    
    sudo tar -cvpzf /tmp/`hostname`_$DATE.tar.gz \
    --exclude=/proc \
    --exclude=/lost+found \
    --exclude=/sys \
    --exclude=/mnt \
    --exclude=/media \
    --exclude=/dev \
    --exclude=/tmp \
    --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Desktop \
    --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Documents \
    --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Music \
    --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Pictures \
    --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Projects \
    --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Roms \
    --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Videos \
    --exclude="/home/jlacroix/.VirtualBox VMs" \
    --exclude=/home/jlacroix/.SpiderOak \
    /
    
    scp /tmp/`hostname`_$DATE.tar.gz jlacroix@Pluto:/share/Recovery/Snapshots
    
    sudo rm /tmp/`hostname`_$DATE.tar.gz
    The problem is that as it runs, it tries to backup the tar backup file itself. I don't understand why, since the backup file lives inside /tmp. which is one of the directories I told it to exclude.

    My second question, is if my exclusion of the ".Virtualbox VMs" folder is correct. It was the only folder that has a space in it, so I wrapped it in double quotes. Was that the right thing to do, or should I put all paths in double quotes to make it consistent?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lancs, United Kingdom
    Beans
    1,241
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Re: Ubuntu Tar Backup Script, Not Excuding a Folder

    That looks like it should work. Something similar works for me. Is it just the backup file that is picked up in error or is anything else picked up that should be excluded?

    The only things I can think of are these.
    1. If --exclude=/tmp in your script includes non-printable characters (such as carriage-return etc.)
    2. If /tmp is a symbolic link to, for example, /var/tmp then your backup file would get picked up under its proper name.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waterford, MI
    Beans
    1,041
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu Tar Backup Script, Not Excuding a Folder

    Quote Originally Posted by spjackson View Post
    That looks like it should work. Something similar works for me. Is it just the backup file that is picked up in error or is anything else picked up that should be excluded?

    The only things I can think of are these.
    1. If --exclude=/tmp in your script includes non-printable characters (such as carriage-return etc.)
    2. If /tmp is a symbolic link to, for example, /var/tmp then your backup file would get picked up under its proper name.
    The permissions for /tmp is drwxrwxrwt, is that a link?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lancs, United Kingdom
    Beans
    1,241
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

    Re: Ubuntu Tar Backup Script, Not Excuding a Folder

    Quote Originally Posted by jlacroix View Post
    The permissions for /tmp is drwxrwxrwt, is that a link?
    No, it's not a link. That's normal for /tmp. So that rules out the second possibility.

    Do any other files get included that should be excluded? What version of tar are you using? Did you check that there's nothing wrong with the way that you've written --exclude=/tmp ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Beans
    1,514
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu Tar Backup Script, Not Excuding a Folder

    should it not look like

    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # init
    
    DATE=$(date +20%y%m%d)
    
    sudo tar -cvpzf /tmp/`hostname`_$DATE.tar.gz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/sys --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/media --exclude=/dev --exclude=/tmp --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Desktop --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Documents --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Music --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Pictures --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Projects --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Roms --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Videos --exclude="/home/jlacroix/.VirtualBox VMs" --exclude=/home/jlacroix/.SpiderOak /
    scp /tmp/`hostname`_$DATE.tar.gz jlacroix@Pluto:/share/Recovery/Snapshots
    sudo rm /tmp/`hostname`_$DATE.tar.gz

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waterford, MI
    Beans
    1,041
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Ubuntu Tar Backup Script, Not Excuding a Folder

    Quote Originally Posted by SlugSlug View Post
    should it not look like

    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # init
    
    DATE=$(date +20%y%m%d)
    
    sudo tar -cvpzf /tmp/`hostname`_$DATE.tar.gz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/sys --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/media --exclude=/dev --exclude=/tmp --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Desktop --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Documents --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Music --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Pictures --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Projects --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Roms --exclude=/home/jlacroix/Videos --exclude="/home/jlacroix/.VirtualBox VMs" --exclude=/home/jlacroix/.SpiderOak /
    scp /tmp/`hostname`_$DATE.tar.gz jlacroix@Pluto:/share/Recovery/Snapshots
    sudo rm /tmp/`hostname`_$DATE.tar.gz
    No, I put the trailing backslashes at the end to format the script line by line so it's not a jumbled up mess of a command.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •