Thread: Login management for multiple networked computers (OpenLDAP?)

Beans

Thumbs down Login management for multiple networked computers (OpenLDAP?)

I'm looking for suggestions for how to best manage logins to multiple local computers.

Background
    I have half a dozen computers in my house with a variety of operating systems (Ubuntu 12.10, Windows 7/8, Windows Server 2008 R2 and FreeBSD 9.0) and I regularly access files from any computer from any other computer. Hence, consistent permissions is essential. I have been running Active Directory for the past couple of years, but it does way more than what is necessary and I don't really have the time to learn how to fully administer it.

Requirements
    My primary requirement is that I can log into any of my computers and read/write files and modify permissions on any other computer. It would also be helpful to have file syncing (of documents, but music, video, etc.) between my primary desktop and my laptop.

I really don't want to have to manage DHCP/DNS if it isn't necessary. There are a number of other computers on my network that are not part of my domain.

Is OpenLDAP what I am looking for and is it simple to administer? Despite running *nix servers for the past couple of years and primarily interacting with them through the CLI, I consider myself a beginner.

Beans

Re: Login management for multiple networked computers (OpenLDAP?)

Bump.