Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Hawaii Desktop Environment

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Beans
    125

    Hawaii Desktop Environment

    I came across a new project based on Wayland and a new QT Compositor called "Green Island" on phoronix, which is called Maui OS/Hawaii DEsktop Environment. It says packages for the new desktop environment are available for Arch Linux. Has anyone tried it?

    http://www.maui-project.org/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tennessee
    Beans
    3,413

    Re: Hawaii Desktop Environment

    Looks pretty cool! I'll have to keep an eye on that.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,991

    Re: Hawaii Desktop Environment

    Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    I came across a new project based on Wayland and a new QT Compositor called "Green Island" on phoronix, which is called Maui OS/Hawaii DEsktop Environment. It says packages for the new desktop environment are available for Arch Linux. Has anyone tried it?

    http://www.maui-project.org/
    I've got a fresh manjaro(arch) install so I'm a bit hesitant to add their repo and install it seeing it's still early days. Probably best tried in a VM which I might do a bit later.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Beans
    1,421

    Re: Hawaii Desktop Environment

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I've got a fresh manjaro(arch) install so I'm a bit hesitant to add their repo and install it seeing it's still early days. Probably best tried in a VM which I might do a bit later.
    I use Manjaro too!
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,991

    Re: Hawaii Desktop Environment

    Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    I use Manjaro too!
    Nice distro

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: Hawaii Desktop Environment

    Grr....doesn't have 32-bit builds. (Attempting to) Building from source now, will let you guys know how it works out. Looks promising though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Beans
    1,421

    Re: Hawaii Desktop Environment

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Nice distro
    With steam support!
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    71

    Re: Hawaii Desktop Environment

    Like the look of that ^^ Will eagerly look out for an Ubuntu based distro with that in ^^

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Smile Re: Hawaii Desktop Environment

    Well, I tried it out in a virtual machine, and I have to say I'm impressed. It was jerky on the VM (and then probably jerkier because it was running under an X session), but really, not too bad.

    There's a screenshot attached (to see what you've got to look forward to), plus some instructions, hints and tips.

    So, to get this running:

    1) Install some virtualisation software. Virtualbox, Qemu, VMware...

    2) Get Manjaro Linux installed on it, giving the /home directory at least 500MB space. Some of the source we're gong to compile has some serious data in it. You could use arch instead, but I was going for speed here.

    3) Download the AUR package (download tarball, then decompress) from here: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/h...eenisland-git/. Try and build it using makepkg. It will complain about dependencies, and fail to build.

    4) Once you're all started up, look for, download and install the missing dependencies from AUR (they're all there), which may take a while. I think I installed 14 packages manually.

    5) Once you get the original package to build properly and install, download the attached script, make it executable and run it in your X session.

    With quite a hefty chunk of luck, you should get something similiar to the screenshot. Have fun!

    EDIT: See Mips' post below for a substantial shortcut.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MG&TL; November 13th, 2012 at 05:48 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,991

    Re: Hawaii Desktop Environment

    Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    3) Download the AUR package (download tarball, then decompress) from here: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/h...eenisland-git/. Try and build it using makepkg. It will complain about dependencies, and fail to build.

    4) Once you're all started up, look for, download and install the missing dependencies from AUR (they're all there), which may take a while. I think I installed 14 packages manually.
    Manjaro has packer & yaourt installed by default so you don't have to download anything and run makepkg.

    Just do a,
    sudo packer -S <packagename>
    or
    yaourt -S <packagename>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •